Chapter Twenty-Seven: Earp Heir

In the hospital room, Waverly paced on the phone. "Hey, Wynonna, it's me, again," she spoke into the phone. "I'm just calling you to tell you and Doc that Alice is up and moving." Waverly glanced back at the bathroom as Alice came out, fully dressed and hobbling. She had to make another sling for her leg since her last one was lost, and she held onto it with her casted arm. "She also says that revenants are coming here, so if you could call me back, that would be great. Bye."

Alice picked up her gun and loaded bullets. "She didn't pick up again."

"No." Waverly watched nervously. "What are you doing?"

"Readying myself for war." Alice hissed as she slid a jacket on, but at least it covered her back.

"Let me help you," Waverly said and did help, even though it felt like Alice didn't like it.

Alice nodded her thanks. "Stay behind me. I'll get you out of here."

Waverly did as Alice said, even though as they stepped into the hospital hallway, she saw no revenants. Weirder was the fact there wasn't anyone else in the hallway. Alice had Peacemaker aimed and she looked both ways constantly. The thump of her leg gave their position away, but Alice knew that better than anyone else.

Pausing, Alice moved Waverly behind and against the wall. Someone was coming, and Alice was ready. Swinging out, Alice put the gun against the skull of Nicole, who looked ready to scream. Alice dropped the gun to her side and moved out of the way.

Waverly let out a gasp as she wrapped her arms around her girlfriend. Nicole snaked her arms around Waverly and held her close. Both of them were relieved. "We have to go," Nicole said to Alice, who peeked around the corner.

"What do you think we're trying to do?" Alice wondered. "You take her and take back. I have front." One of them had the Peacemaker so one deserved the force.

"Where is everyone?" Nicole asked. It was her job, after all, to care about the general public.

Alice positioned herself with her back against the wall. A drop of blood fell from her black. Holding her gun at her face, Alice peeked around the corner. When she found nothing, she started her way down the hallway. Waverly and Nicole followed along. Alice came to a quick halt and pointed her gun.

"What is it?" Waverly whispered.

Alice hushed her. "Run."

"What?" Nicole watched the door and pointed her own gun. She could injury people, but it wasn't going to be enough.

"Take Waverly and run," Alice said.

Suddenly, there was a rumbling of feet, and Waverly and Nicole went stiff. Waverly's mouth hovered open as she watched in horror as revenants— certainly not the normal kind— rushed in. These revenants— the ones that belonged to the old one— were pale, as if they hadn't seen the light in many years, and their eyes burned red with the black outline. Some of their bodies looked rushed in, and ribs and backbones seen easily through their hole-filled clothes.

"Go," Alice commanded as she pulled the trigger back. The gunshot echoed throughout the hallway, and then Alice shot off two more. Hell opened under their feet, and they screamed as the revenants went down. Alice pointed and shot more, but revenants streamed in, all aiming for Alice.

Nicole handed her extra gun to Waverly, and they shot at the revenants. It gave Alice a moment to reload her gun, and she went after them again.

"We need to run," Nicole said over shots.

"I can't exactly run." Besides her left leg, Alice was still very much injured.

"We can back away," Waverly said. "Wynonna has to be coming."

"She, Dolls and Doc were heading into the sewers to look for their leader."

"I'm assuming their leader is coming here too," Alice said. "We have to shoot them, but you're right: we should take this fight elsewhere. There are humans in here."

"But where?"

"Humans get bad feelings when revenants are around," Alice explained, while shooting more revenants down. "Most times they ignore them, but with so many revenants here, I imagine their instincts won out. Gut feelings are meant to help you." Reloading her gun, Nicole and Waverly stepped up to protect her.

"Where are we going to get them away from the humans?"

"They'll follow me anywhere, so just not here." Alice went back to shooting.

"The parking lot?" Nicole offered. "It's late. Who will be out there?"

"Good. Let's go." Alice rolled back her shoulders, and she hissed again. Running wasn't happening, but she hobbled quickly. Waverly and Nicole shot back, one always covering the back to keep the revenants off their tail. Occasionally, Alice shot back and one or revenants were swallowed up. Thanks to her father's skills, Alice barely had to aim to shoot something. Her natural skills passed down from John Henry "Doc" Holiday were kicking ass.

Making it out to the parking lot, the pavement was slick, and Alice's leg looked ready to give out. Her chest heaved as she pulled it along. Reloading again, when Waverly and Nicole were outside, Alice aimed for the revenants and shot them where they stood. Hell opened up underneath and swallowed. However, once the revenants were twenty feet away, they came to a halt.

The guns were raised and pointed, but it was Waverly who dared to look behind. Her brown eyes went wide, and her hand whipped out to hit Nicole in the back. Immediately, Nicole turned and saw the old one, who needed a better name. Some part of him was demon, and the best way to describe him was a parasite. The more they looked at the old one, the more it was obvious how he affected his followers. Their pasty completions matched his own, and their forever-burning eyes were the same as well.

"Ah... Alice." Nicole tapped Alice's right shoulder as she shot at the not-moving revenants.

"One second." Alice reloaded her gun and turned. "What's up?" Her eyes immediately traveled up to the old one, who was taller than expected for such a frail revenant. "Well, shit." Alice didn't know where to put Waverly and Nicole, but she made up her mind that the old one was probably the more dangerous threat. Alice raised her hand and pointed the gun, which started to buzz.

"Earp Heir," it boomed.

"What do you want?" she demanded. Orange appeared around the barrel.

The demon- revenant- thing started to laugh, and Alice's mood soured more than already. Her trigger finger itched, and Alice let the bullet going flying. The bullet struck it, but he was not sent back to Hell. The demon roared and grabbed for the infected area. From behind the three women, the revenants screeched, inching themselves closer. One hole of Hell opened and swallowed a revenant.

"Um, Alice," Waverly whispered.

Alice looked between the old one and the weird-ass revenants. "Yeah, I know." While she was a good shot, she couldn't take down the old one and the revenants. Even if she managed to kill multiple revenants at the same time, it was impossible to reload Peacemaker that fast.

"Hey, creep," yelled a female voice. Her Peacemaker vibrated too, and her barrel turned orange. Wynonna stepped forward. "Eat shit!" She shot.