Chapter Sixteen: Mistakes Again and Again

Wynonna parked outside a warehouse. Dolls had been saving this for some time, and he didn't pay attention to what Wynonna might know. She had known about this place, but it wasn't every day that Wynonna went out looking for revenant trouble. Throughout the whole car ride, both of the Peacemakers buzzed, and they had pushed themselves to the opposite sides. Wynonna drove with Alice up front. It turned out Alice had never driven, and Wynonna swore she was teaching her before her daughter went back to the future.

Stepping out of the truck, Wynonna had her gun trained on warehouse and Alice did the same. A smile crept onto Wynonna's face, and for once, Alice was relaxed. Her hand didn't tremble, and her face had gone slack. They went in together with no questions asked and bullets split between them. After regaining her shape, Wynonna had gone back to her bullet belt while Alice preferred to have hers in a bag at her side. When one needed to reload, the other one covered.

Entering the warehouse, Wynonna shot out her hand first. The revenants were puzzled by this sudden and unexpected invasion of privacy. While Wynonna killed more revenants than her father, she didn't openly go for them unless they declared war on her first. Now, she stepped in without an ounce of hesitation and took aim at the first revenant she found. She didn't expect them to be huddled up like this in some dingy warehouse. Well, to be honest, she didn't expect so many.

She had known there were revenants in Purgatory, obviously, but this was something much different. Revenants and demons alike were citizens that hid in plain sight. These were not the same revenants. At least in town, she was able to gage how many there were. She wasn't here because all of Dolls' numbers were off.

Alice entered right after her and took her own aim at the revenants. Her mother had faltered when she saw the numbers inside, but these were the numbers Alice was used to. In the future, these were how revenants were, together as they picked off humans. They were in huddles with their eyes blinking into the dim light. Alice shot at them as they closed in.

"We need to get out of here," Wynonna said.

"I need to reload," Alice said.

Wynonna held up her gun and shot; Alice reloaded her Peacemaker and began to shoot again. The revenants didn't attack but they had nowhere to scatter to.

"We need to get out of here," Wynonna repeated.

"We just got here." Alice went into the frenzy.

"Alice!" Wynonna had no choice but to follow her daughter, and she did it with a groan. "I need to reload!" Alice took over for the shooting as Wynonna did so.

Dread started to fill her because it all felt so wrong. She didn't expect a normal mother-daughter relationship, but she expected something more than killing revenants. Wynonna realized she hadn't taken the time or effort to get to know Alice, but instead, she jumped into the one thing she knew Alice would like to do. Alice was bloodthirsty, Wynonna realized as she watched as her daughter. She wanted revenge, and Wynonna knew that burn well. Alice wanted her parents alive, yes, and she wanted to save herself— but for the revenants that did things to her in her future, she wanted painful deaths. She wanted those revenants to hurt as much as she had. Wynonna knew Alice's pain was abundant, and she could never know the pain of what Alice had survived.

Wynonna had stared at her daughter too long as something hit her over the back of the head. Peacemaker went flying across the room. Her vision blurred for a second but shook it off to turn around and find the culprit. Rosita a few feet away, holding a bottle in her hand. Wynonna took a deep breath.

"Who's that?" Rosita asked.

"Back the Hell off," Wynonna spat. Her anger came back strong as remembering the betrayal from Rosita.

"She has Peacemaker." Rosita's smile became thin. "She's the heir, isn't she? She's Alice."

"Stay away from my daughter, you bitch."

Rosita started to laugh. "I was going to let her live, you know, but Doc...."

Wynonna fell to her knees. Rosita moved in and out of clear vision. "Stay away from her, you...." Vomit bubbled out in her stomach.

"You stay alive, but we'll take Alice instead." A smile bloomed on Rosita's face. "She's so outnumbered, but she kills better than you. That must be part of Doc."

"Stay away...."

Rosita shook her head and then swung. Wynonna tried to stop it, but she only grabbed a hold of Rosita's dress. The bottle was brought down on Wynonna's head.