Chapter Twenty-Two: Who to Call?

There was a long list of revenants to start with. While there were demons like Bulshar, Alice didn't pinpoint it was one of them. There was questions that it might've been Bobo, but even then, there wasn't a lot of information. Alice hadn't known, but she had made a comment about Dolls. When they got back to BBD, they had to start with what they knew. Jeremy had gone back to doing science, and he worked hard to find the potential killers of Wynonna and Doc.

"Could it just be Rosita?" Wynonna asked, pacing around the office.

"She had the chance to kill her, and she didn't," Doc reminded her.

Wynonna gave him a look because he decided to defend her. "She still kidnapped Alice and beat her."

"Rosita wasn't going to kill her," Doc argued.

"So she just decided to kidnap our daughter for shits and giggles?" Wynonna asked, carefully eyeing the whiskey on the desk. She could've used a drink. "Rosita also whipped Alice, when Alice already had those marks on her back. What if we let Rosita go and she's the one that ends up hurting Alice in the future?"

"We don't know that," Doc blocked. "I think we should look at other options."

"What other options? What else do we have to go on?" Wynonna asked, grabbing the bottle of whiskey. "Should I just go out and kill every revenant that stands in our path?"

"That's the best way to get yourself killed and bring Hell to Purgatory," Dolls responded sassily.

"What's your idea then?" Doc asked.

"Detective work."

"I've never been very good at that," Wynonna replied.

Dolls knew that well enough. "We have a stack of revenant files in the office. Jeremy is working on things from his side. It is time to work our side. Doc, you will ask around with the revenants you know. Wynonna and I will take the files. When we find a lead, we follow up on it. Nicole can go with you, Doc," Dolls settled the conversation. His dark eyes traveled over to Nicole, who nodded at her assignment.

"Fine," Doc allowed, "but you're going to have to change. There's no need to see the law there."

Nicole shrugged.

Doc wasn't happy about it, but they left together.

Dolls took Wynonna aside, and they started their way through the pile of revenant cases. Some revenants were just trying to live normal and happy lives, so they were going to be some of the last ones to go. Other revenants were into petty crime, so they were in the middle. Wynonna thought they had to be going through a hierarchy, but Dolls argued that this wasn't like a beehive. There were revenants that did actual revenant things, and they were the first to go over. There were very few revenants that tried to go after the heir. Bobo was one of them, but Waverly was dead in the future. Wynonna couldn't imagine Bobo hurting Waverly.

"What if they are not even here?" Wynonna asked as she finished off half of the bottle. "What if they are so covert we don't even know?"

Dolls didn't believe that. "Even lone wolves talk to people. Trust me, someone knows. We just have to find who."

Wynonna sighed and put down the file she looked at. "You survive all of this, do you know that?"

Dolls didn't glance up, but he did slow. "No, I didn't know that."

"Well, you do." Wynonna took a drink. "Also, I think you raise her."

Now, his eyes came up. "You mean, like....?"

"I don't know the details, but she knows you. She thinks you're a dick. She looks at you with hatred but some respect," Wynonna explained. "She doesn't say any more than that, but she made it sound like she knew you."

Dolls pursed his lips. "We need to figure out her timeline."

Wynonna arched an eyebrow.

Dolls explained, "She was abducted for some time, we know that. She knew me. When she was young, the world ended. Hell literally rose. She killed her first revenant when she was young too. She's not twenty-seven yet because all the revenants haven't risen again. And now, apparently, I have raised her a bit. I just need a timeline. It would make her life a lot easier to understand."

"She didn't exactly have an easy life," Wynonna grumbled.

"I didn't say that she did, but with so many things going on, you can see why I don't trust her."

"We may not have a choice."

Dolls agreed with that. His eyes went back down to the files, and they continued their search through the files. It took some time, and even if they found a lead, it would take time to track the lead down and go from there. When Alice arrived, she said there were only a few days left until Wynonna and Doc's deaths, and that was almost two nights ago. Dolls worked extra hard.

"I got something," he said in disbelief.

"You noticed someone else that was trying to kill us?" Wynonna asked.

"No, but I found someone who might to know who, for a price."

"Another demon?" Wynonna walked behind Dolls to look at the final. "This guy can't be real."

"Let's find out." Dolls grabbed his jacket, and they left.