Chapter Twenty-One: Under Sedation

Alice's face was peaceful, or as peaceful as it could get. The long scar was easily seen as it stretched back across her face and down her neck. The smell burned nostrils in the room with how clean it was, and Alice was wrapped in a white blanket. She laid on her ride side with her back bloodied and bandaged. Her left arm was in a cast, and her left leg was wrapped up. Parts of her body was still puffed from the beating she had taken. Needles and tubes were connected to her body. For her free right hand, Wynonna sat her daughter's side and held the free hand. Occasionally, Wynonna brushed Alice's hair back.

Doc brought in coffee. "She still hasn't woken up." His eyes traveled along the back of his daughter. There were new lashes, but there was old scarring from previous whipping. They moved along her back like roads. Some had skinned over, only to be replaced by new lashings. The doctor had been correct because the lashings had taken place over long periods of time. When one healed, another lash came. It was just another thing that Alice hadn't talked about. Doc had so many questions.

"They're keeping her under sedation," Dolls explained, "for her protection." He leaned against the wall next to Waverly.

"She can't be comfortable," Doc said.

"She can't feel anything." Dolls took a deep breath. "We need to talk about the next step." Eyes came to him, and he continued, "Alice came here for a reason— to save you and you. It's time we do that."

"What about her?" Wynonna squeezed her daughter's hand.

"Waverly will stay with her."

Waverly nodded in the corner, once again sidelined.

Wynonna trusted her sister, but this was different. There was a pull to Alice, to protect her, and that meant leaving her side. Detaching herself, Wynonna stood with Peacemaker in her hand. She was ready for the battle. Walking past Waverly, Wynonna placed a hand on her sister's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Call me if anything happens."

Waverly nodded.

Wynonna, Doc and Dolls left. It was obvious that Doc didn't want to leave either, but he felt passionately about ending this now. It was going to save Alice and it was going to save them. Doc knew he had time to get to know his daughter then, and if they survived, Alice might change anyway. They left to fight revenants.

Waverly moved over to Wynonna's spot and took Alice's hand. "You have a lot of people in your corner," she whispered. "Please don't hurt them." Waverly felt a squeeze on the fingers, and she looked down. Alice's fingers moved slightly but her eyes didn't open.