z.h - fluff

Warnings: none, just a really adorable zane.

I've been scared of the dark for as long as I could remember. I'd been to countless doctors, assuming it was a phobia, but they've all said the same thing; possible symptoms of nyctophobia, but they were so minor that meds weren't required, and it was highly likely I didn't even suffer from nyctophobia. So, my remedy has always been keeping the closet light on, but lately, I've been trying to use a small night light.

I live in a house with a bunch of roommates, but unfortunately for me, they were all gone tonight. And it's nights like these that I hate; power outages. So, I'm currently sitting in the living room, with just three flashlights as that was all I had. If I was in a smaller space it wouldn't be as dark. But dark, small places scare the living shit out of me, just as much as dark, large places scare the shit out of me. It doesn't make sense, I know, but it's not like I really have much control over it.

I'm holding a book in one hand, a flashlight in the other. Distracting myself helps quite a lot. But what doesn't help, is when the door opens out of nowhere and all I see is a huge male like figure standing in the doorway.

Naturally, I screamed. And so did the man in the doorway.

It was Zane. I literally could've killed him right then and there.

"Goddamnit, Zane. You scared the fuck outta me." He set down what looked to be a pizza box, onto the counter, before walking over to me.

"Sorry Y/N, I didn't mean to." I wanted to be annoyed, and I still kind've was, but I could tell he was sorry so I let it go. This time.

"Is that pizza?" He stared at me, before bursting into laughter.

"Of course it is, what else would I've brought?" I chuckled, of course. Stupid question.

"Ok, then I forgive you for scaring me." After bringing the box to the middle of the living room, we took our respective spots on the couch; mine was the corner against the wall, his the middle with the sagging cushion. He loved that spot so much and none of us could figure out why, it was so damn uncomfortable.

Zane kept staring at me everytime I'd be talking, and I couldn't figure out why for the life of me. I knew there was nothing on my face, and even if there was, Zane, being Zane, would've pointed it out and made a joke.

"You're really beautiful, Y/N." I froze in place, and I could tell Zane wasn't joking by the tone of his voice. I didn't know what to do, I never thought Zane thought of me as anything but a friend. I can't say I was mad about it though.

"Dude you can barely see me." I let out a nervous giggle, my hands slightly shaking. Zane has never shown any interest in me whatsoever.

"I see enough. I can see your captivating blue eyes, your smile, the way you over exaggerate your stories with your hands." I don't know how he can see all of that with just three flashlights, but then again, his eyesight is a lot better than mine. I could just about make out his face, and kind've his nose and whatnot. But that's about it.

"But your personality is beautiful, too. I don't need light to see that. You're so wonderful, and I know that even if you turn me down right now, you won't let it get weird between us for too long." I opened and closed my mouth about five times, and eventually I just laughed.

"You are so random, Zane. You say the weirdest things, at the weirdest times. But that's honestly one of the best things about you." I reached my hand out, finding his and lacing our fingers together.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were trying to tell me you liked me." Now Zane was the one nervous laughing, but it ended with a sigh.

"I am. I've wanted to tell you the moment I first met you how beautiful you were and I just didn't have the courage. I guess being in the dark helps somehow. Ironic, seeing as how you're basically terrified of it." We laughed almost simultaneously, and I could feel the blush rising onto my face when he placed his other hand on my cheek.

We got closer and closer, until our lips finally touched.

There were no fireworks, like in movies or books. But it did kind've feel magical. It felt right. When we pulled apart, the lights came back on instantly, and it was then that I noticed how close we actually were.

He pulled back immediately, turning into a stuttering mess.

"I, uh, that was, uhm-" I cut him off with another kiss, nearly melting into him when he grabbed my waist and pulled me closer.

"It was magical." He let out laugh, and I joined in.

"So, uh, you wanna go on a date tomorrow?" Zane's smile was huge, and I found myself nodding.

"Of course. I'd love that." I leaned my head onto his shoulder, and he turned the tv on, picking a random movie.

I woke up maybe an hour or so later, to Heath putting a blanket over Zane and I.

"I knew y'all would end up together." I sent him a smile, before cuddling into Zane and closing my eyes.

I didn't even realize we were in the dark.