a.e - angst

Warnings: swearing, cheating, sad alex :(

Alex and I had been dating for nearly a year now, so we knew each other fairly well. That being said, I could immediately tell something was up with Alex. He was never super talkative, but when it was just the two of us he could talk for hours on end. So, when he stopped being so opened and he became slightly more distant each day I could tell something was wrong.

He was on his way out of our apartment to go to David's for a skit when I stopped him in front of the door.

"Babe, what's up? You've been acting really weird these past few days." His expression changed instantly, and he stared at me for a couple seconds before grabbing my wrist and pulling me over to the sofa.

"I love you." Those three words were all he uttered before a tear fell down his cheek. He grabbed my hands, lacing our fingers together.

"I-I love you too? Alex, what is going on?" I let my hand place itself on his cheek, my thumb swiping his tear away.

"I made a mistake." He whispered, his voice hoarse and raspy. I wrapped my arms around him, his head falling onto my shoulder.

"Alex, baby, talk to me. Tell me what happened." I pulled away, my eyes trying to find his, but he kept avoiding my eyes.

"I-I did something terrible. Last week, I was out with David and w-we got really drunk. I-I'm so fucking sorry baby." I felt my heart sink, knowing almost instantaneously what he was trying to say.

I wanted to be angry. God, did I want to be angry. But seeing Alex sitting in front of me with tears falling down his face and gasps leaving him, I just couldn't. My heart hurt, and all I could do was hug him.

We sat there until he stopped crying, until we both stopped crying. Somehow, we had switched our positions and I ended up on his lap, our arms tangled together.

"Alex, I can't stay with you. But I don't want to lose you. Baby you mean so much to me and yes you did screw up but, I can't let you go." He lifted his head, his eyes meeting mine for the first time since this conversation first began.

"So-so like a break?" I felt myself nod, taking a shaky breath before pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"Yeah, maybe for a month? It'll give us time to think about everything, about us. But I love you, ok? Alex I love you so fucking much." I slowly stood up, my legs carrying me to our shared bedroom. I began packing a bag, deciding I'd go home and visit my sister in Oregon.

I made my way into our living room, my eyes finding Alex still on the sofa. I opened the door, walking out and sitting in my car. I sent a quick text to David, telling him to come to the apartment and that the door was unlocked.

This was fucking hard, and I knew Alex probably felt the same way right now. But I knew I'd come back, I couldn't stay away from Alex. I loved him so goddamn much.

I just hoped he would wait for me like I will for him.