Chapter 3

The trap fell quickly, sending me shooting from the floor to the ceiling with the momentum. As soon as I hit the ceiling of the trap, I was thrown to the ground yet again. I groaned. The trap was now in open air, throwing me about the cell. My eyes wide, I searched for something to grab onto to steady myself, but there was nothing.

There was still a far way to go until I hit the ground but I watched as it got nearer and nearer.

There was nothing I could do now, I decided. Death was imminent. Odin should have just killed me and spared me the pain.

I slowed my breathing, trying my best to sit in one place as the trap tumbled through the air.

Suddenly, a large black shape hit the glass. I saw Mjolnir come rushing toward the wall once, twice, three times, leaving a large crack before finally breaking through.

Thor tumbled into the trap, skidding to the opposite wall.

"Thor," I groaned weakly, watching Thor as he leaned toward me, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"Hold on to me! I won't let you die here, brother!" Thor yelled. He spun Mjolnir rapidly in the air as I clung to him as tightly as I could.

He aimed for the broken part in the glass before taking off. The glass shattered around us as we broke into open air. I didn't realize how close to the ground we were until that moment because as soon as we broke free of the trap, I went skidding onto the ground. I was blasted sideways as the trap exploded next to me. I lost Thor in the explosion, my head spinning madly and my ears ringing.

I touched my ear and my finger came away sticky with blood.

That's when I realized, the blood wasn't red.

After that realization, I passed out.

"Loki!" I yelled, rushing over to the still body on the ground. I recognised my brother immediately. Grabbing his shoulders, I shook him but he didn't respond. I shook him harder still. "Loki, are you alright?"

I knew there would be complications of Odin taking away his immortality. Loki had lived thousands of years as an almost-immortal god. Pain to gods was different. You healed faster, you could survive harsher wounds, and injuries didn't affect you as much. I knew that Loki would react to pain differently as he wasn't used to such fatal wounds healing so slowly, hurting so badly.

"Loki?" I shook him again, and again. I pressed my ear to his chest, relieved to hear a gentle ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum.

I wrapped my arm around his waist again, holding him tightly to me knowing he couldn't hold on himself.

Swinging my hammer, I flew into the air, chasing after the SHIELD helicarrier.

Finding it, I hovered underneath it before locating the hole where the glass trap used to be.

I landed on the ground next to the control panel. The other five avengers and Nick Fury watched as I wrapped Loki's arm over my shoulder and began to carry him away, his limp feet dragging on the floor.

I watched as Thor appeared from the hole where the trap had fallen. He was holding tightly to Loki as he walked away from where the cage used to be. Thor stood near the entrance to the room with Loki.

"The helicarrier will be landing soon, right Director?" Fury nodded as Thor continued, "Loki needs somewhere to recover. He can stay with me for a few days after we land but I must return to Asgard shortly. Someone else will need to take him in then."

"There must be room on Stark Tower-" began Steve before Thor stopped him.

"No. I do not trust my brother in the hands of Tony Stark," he said, shooting Tony a glare.

"Not it," Clint said immediately. 

"I have no home. I'm staying with SHIELD once we land," Steve said after a second of silence, looking between the others.

Bruce didn't say anything and no one questioned it. It would be too dangerous.

"And what about you, Agent Romanoff?" Fury asked me. I had been silent throughout the conversation and with good reason. I was the perfect candidate to take Loki in, no matter how much I didn't want to. I had no reason not to, like the other's did, even if it was as lousy as Clint's.

"The man is a monster," I said, "he would likely kill me in my sleep." My heart was pounding. They wouldn't really make me live with him, would they?

"There will be high security wherever he goes. I promise, I won't let anything happen to you." Clint said, sounding like he was trying to convince and reassure me at the same time.

"Nor will I," Bruce added and I smiled warmly at him.

"Fine, I'll do it. But only until he recovers." I responded, crossing my arms and frowning.

"Actually, Agent," Fury interrupted, "can I have a word?"

I nodded. I stepped off to the side with him, out of earshot of the others. "I want you to get information from Loki about what he is planning. I know he's up to something. Find out where he was after he was banished from Asgard and where his injuries came from. Remember, Romanoff, the world could depend on this. If you get anything or are in danger, tell Clint or someone else in SHIELD, got it?"

I processed all the information, honored and surprised that he was trusting me with such an important job, given my history.

"I can do it, sir. How long do you think he'll be staying with me?"

"However long it takes, Agent. But try to make it quick. We don't know how much time we have."

I looked over at Loki still draped on Thor's shoulder, bleeding and unconscious. I had never seen him look weaker and my heart squeezed. I could do this.