Chapter 35

I watched Natasha leave, my heart pounding. I tucked the pendant away and drew one of my knives as the creatures approached. Already the streets were completely flooded with the creatures. It seemed impossible that a team of six could take out such a large army.

Also, the fact that I could see no civilians nearby was unnerving. I wondered how many innocent people were already dead, killed by the swarm of demons clustering on the street.

A few of the demons rushed toward me and I pulled out another dagger and began to fight. One of them extended their sword at my face, but I used one of my daggers to slice away the blade. I used my other hand to slice at one of the approaching creatures. I watched in satisfaction as it fell to the ground.

I quickly took care of the other four creatures that stood near me, but by that point, a whole other wave was attacking me. I took care of one and then spun around to kill another, but there were too many. I backed into the glass of Stark Tower, slashing and killing but not nearly quick enough to destroy them all.

A second later, three arrows came flying through the air and lodged themselves in the backs of three creatures. I took care of the other few. I quickly glanced up at the rooftops where Hawkeye was knelt, drawing and letting arrows fly faster than anything I had seen before. I moved forward, toward the fighting.

Still watching Hawkeye, I saw him turned toward me. He let one arrow fly in my direction. It breezed past my head and lodged into something right behind me. I turned to see a demon clutching a dagger fall over. I shot him a silent look to say thank you. That was the second time he had saved my life during the battle.

I began to push forward, slicing and stabbing and trying my best to get back into the battle, which had spread out around me. I could see Iron Man flying at least fifty feet above the fighting. I watched as he shot laser beam after laser beam into a crowd of demons beneath him.

My heart clenched briefly as I wondered where Natasha was now. I prayed to the Allfather that she was safe.

My thoughts were drawn away from Natasha when a blade cut my side, just brushing the inside of my armor. I grunted with pain and spun towards the wielder of the sword. The creature looked young and she had blonde hair, but her cloudy white eyes gave her away as demon, not human. I swung my knife towards her, but she sent it flying out of my hand with her sword that she had clutched in her own hand.

I quickly used my other hand to knock her sword free. I then sliced at her neck, and watched as she fell to the ground. Satisfaction rushed through me until I looked around and saw how many creatures there were. They had spread out, but I could still see their massive numbers. Some were fighting with Captain America, who I could see in the fray. Some were lunging into the air at Iron Man, who was still flying above.

Some were even attempting to climb up the sides of the building to get to Clint.

But most of them were coming for me, and I knew why. They raced down the street, the leader in the front raising Hemmelighetsverden, the intimidating black sword. I sheathed my dagger and picked up the sword from the creature I had just killed.

They were coming for the pendant.

I tried my best to stand tall and be brave, just hoping there were no creatures coming at me from behind. I looked up to see Hawkeye launching arrows at the army coming toward me.

I also saw Stark come flying toward the army. He launched a missile at the center of the pack. It exploded, creating a large cloud of smoke that engulfed the approaching hoard.

I froze, clutching the handle of the sword tightly. The leader, dressed in black, emerged from the smoke unscathed. He swung the sword around threateningly, staring at me with wide, white eyes and a large smile.