Chapter 12

I pulled the car in the driveway of my house, still feeling drunk and tired, but glad I had made it home safely.

I glanced over at Loki, eyes closed and asleep. For a few minutes I admired how peaceful he looked while he slept. Despite the things I had said, looking at him like this, you could easily forget everything he had done in the past two months. His lips were parted slightly and his head lolling against the seatbelt, trying to find a comfortable resting place. He reminded me of a child that had fallen asleep during a long car ride home.

Regretfully, I reached over and gently shook his arm. "Loki," I whispered softly.

He groaned, stirring slightly to show he was partly awake. He did not open his eyes, but rubbed his neck as if it hurt.

"Loki, wake up."

He groaned again, peeling open his eyes just a bit. "What?" He asked quietly, sounding annoyed. He looked around the car, seeming confused. "Where am I?"

Loki's eyes opened wider as he observed the car, and then he said, "oh, yeah..." He blinked, rubbing his eyes as if trying to wake up but it wasn't working.

Still half asleep, he tried to open the door, but it was still locked. I unlocked it from my door and he clambered out and went towards the house.

I rubbed my eyes and opened my own door to follow. When the SHIELD agents saw me, they opened the door to let us in.

Neither of us said anything to each other, just cast tired glances to each other. I headed off to my room as he went to his.

Before I went to bed, I forced myself to brush my teeth and change. Once done, I shut off the lights and collapsed on the mattress. I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

I woke up to sun shining through the window on my left and a pounding headache. I rubbed my head, sitting up slightly but falling back against my pillow just as quickly.

I groaned sat up in bed, forcing myself to the bathroom. I felt dizzy, like the room was spinning. Walking to the bathroom, I brushed my teeth, feeling very thirsty as well as dizzy.

I walked out of my bathroom and moved to the door to go to the kitchen.

I was about to open the door when I heard footsteps moving about the kitchen. I sighed and let go of the doorknob, placing my forehead against my door. I hardly wanted to see Loki right now after last night. I wasn't sure how he felt about me, but I think I told him off well in the car at the club. At the same time, I didn't want him to be angry at me and our relationship become awkward. Not that it wasn't already awkward. And not that it was a relationship at all!

Working up the courage, I opened to the door to see Loki rummaging in the empty fridge.

"There's no food." He said, sensing my presence. Straightening up, he faced me. He looked well rested and fairly energetic. His gaze held no emotion.

I scratched the back of my neck nervously, forcing myself to hold is gaze. "Yes, you ate the rest last night. We could go out to breakfast at the diner a few blocks away." I suggested, moving toward him and brushing past him to get a glass.

I filled it with water from the sink as Loki spoke. "Um...alright. Should I get changed?"

He glanced at his clothes - a white t-shirt with black shorts. I nodded, drinking the water without taking a breath. I filled up another glass, and drank that, too. It hardly quenched my thirst.

Loki had disappeared to his room and I went to mine and changed into a loose-fitting, silky, gray shirt and black pants.

I walked outside and Loki was still in his room. It was a few minutes more before he finally emerged.

The time it takes for that man to get dressed. I thought, but couldn't help but gaze at him in admiration. He wore all black. Black tie, black dress shirt, black jacket, and black pants.

"You probably won't need your jacket." I pointed out, deciding it probably wasn't a good idea to intimately undress him like I did yesterday. "It's warm this morning."

"You said it was warm last night, too." Loki joked, making me blush. He took off his jacket without any further argument.

"You look nice," I offered, hopefully. He was barely showing any emotion at all. Was he angry with me? Disappointed? Or did he really not care what I thought about him like he had said last night.

Loki did not respond verbally, just nodded curtly.

I chewed my bottom lip, feeling Loki's gaze boring into the back of my head as I walked out of the door ahead of him. I headed for my car immediately. The SHIELD agents questioned nothing as Loki walked out behind me.

I climbed into the drivers seat while Loki got into my car next to me. He sat staring ahead as if I was forcing him to come with me. His teeth were clenched, the vein in his temple visible, and his shoulders tense.

I sighed in exasperation. "You don't have to come with me if you don't want to. You could just stay here and not eat." I pointed out.

Loki glared at me and, despite myself, I shrunk against my seat because his piercing, angry stare. "I am hungry. I'll swallow my pride and come with you. To eat." He added, exasperated.

I straightened up, forcing myself to return his gaze. "Get out." I said with as much force as possible.

Loki tilted his head at me, his eyes looked shocked and amused. "Excuse me?" I wanted to slap away the smirk that was growing on his face.

"Get out. You're not coming with me if you're going to be a huge grump. I told you the truth to you last night of what I think of you. You're a murderer, a liar, and yet I still treat you with kindness and hospitality. If you're going to be a huge ass about everything, get out of my car. You're not coming."

Loki blinked slowly, once, twice, three times before turning away from me and grabbing the door handle. I shifted my gaze away from him, staring ahead, waiting for him to leave, but he didn't.

I glanced over at him to see Loki let go of the door handle and relax against his seat.

His shoulders were still tense, and his face remained in a passive frown.

"How about a smile?" I tried. He glared at me. "Or you could just not come."

He laughed humourlessly. "You really are making the most of my hunger." He then gave me a fake, sarcastic smile.

"Good enough." I said, turning the car on.

"You're very picky." Loki scoffed.

I bit my lip to try to keep from laughing, but a small chuckle escape from me anyway.

As I put my car in reverse to pull out of the driveway, I quickly glanced at Loki to see that he, too, had a small smile on his face. When he saw me looking, his smile disappeared instantly.

I rolled my eyes, unable to keep from grinning. I pulled out of my driveway onto the road to begin the short drive to the cafe.