Chapter 19

My heart felt warm the rest of the night, despite my shivering body. With my mind relaxed (and Loki no longer making noise), I managed to fall asleep quickly.

I was joyfully happy. I had some information that I could bring to Fury, I was on Loki's good side and he appeared to be on the verge of telling me more. Telling me everything. I told myself that that was the only reason I was beside myself with ecstasy. That my happiness had absolutely nothing to do with the hug.

But I knew it did.

I woke up the next morning. The day looked white and bright. Fresh snow had fallen. I turned onto my side and let out a tired groan, dreading to get out of my warm bed. I forced myself to anyways. My bare feet touched the cold floor and I curled my toes, uncomfortable. I hated the cold. After spending my youth in Russia, I was someone who could appreciate a nice warm home.

I walked toward my door and opened it. Loki was awake, on the couch, reading.

"Were you awake all night?" I asked, moving toward the coffee machine and making myself a cup.

"Yes." He replied while I took a sip of the fresh brew. I sighed in satisfaction as the warm drink rushed through my body.

"You're going to become nocturnal if you're not careful," I said with a grin.

He put down his book and stood up, a small smile on his face. I took another sip of my coffee to hide whatever blush might form on my face.

I hated the feelings I was feeling. Why was I feeling them at all? I shouldn't be. I wiped the stupid grin off my face to remind myself that the man standing in front of me was an alien from space that had murdered thousands. An alien. God, my life had become weird.

"How are you this morning?" He asked me as he approached. I put down the cup and crossed my arms, feeling more exposed the closer he got. I took a few steps away from him as he got nearer. I smiled at him to show that there was no hard feelings.

"I'm alright. It's freezing in this house."

"Oh, yes. I opened the windows." He replied and I glared at him. I glanced at the windows around the living room and saw that they were, indeed, open. I felt my face heat up despite the cold. I wondered what the guards stationed in front of my house would think of my casual, friendly conversation with Loki that did not involve any questioning about what happened to him after he came from Asgard.

"Why?" I asked angrily.

"It was hot." Loki replied, sounding confused.

"Well, now it's freezing. So, can we please close them?" I asked.

"Yes, yes." Loki said and followed suit when I began to close them.

When all of the windows were closed, I began to apologize for my sudden anger, but I felt at a loss for words. "I'm sorry, I just..." How would I explain to Loki that I didn't want anyone to know I was talking to him like a friend?

Loki swallowed. He wasn't looking at me. "It's...fine." He said after a second of hesitation. I wondered if he knew what my silence meant.

"Alright." I said uncertainly. I didn't want to upset Loki. Not when our relationship had been doing so well lately. Not when he was so close to telling me more. "I'm going to go make some calls."

He nodded curtly and I backed away toward my room.

I called Clint first. I wanted to make sure things were alright between us. I hadn't talked to him since yesterday in the car before I went to SHIELD, and he had been acting really distant then. It took a few rings before he finally picked up.