Chapter 24

My heart felt like it had stopped when Loki had disappeared. He had looked so...scared.

I swallowed hard, staring intently at the scorch marks the bifrost had created. Why had Odin come? Was Loki in Asgard now?

I opened Loki's cell door and stepped inside, hearing the alarm go off to signify that the door had indeed opened.

I sat on the bench and wondered what it would feel like to be inside of this cell for days. I hated being in it for even a minute, let alone days. It made me feel claustrophobic, weak. I hated that I had put him in here, which cause him to be...kidnapped? by Odin. He had nowhere to run.

After a few seconds of sitting there, staring at nothing, dozens of SHIELD agents surrounded the cell on all sides, the alarm calling them here.

"Agent Romanoff?" Someone said, and I recognized Fury's voice.

"He's gone," I mumbled.

"Gone?" Fury questioned back. "What do you mean 'gone?'"

"I mean Odin took him back to Asgard," I snapped, exiting the cell. The agents lowered their raised guns in unison.

"Oh?" Fury sounded surprisingly upset. "Did he give you any information before he left?"

"Yes," I said coldly, glaring at the director angrily. "He told me everything." I heard murmurs pass between the agents at my words.

Fury's eyes lit up. "Well, that's all that matters."

My mouth fell open, but I close it immediately. Was there really no reason to get Loki back? Who knows why Odin had taken Loki back to Asgard? He could be in danger, for all I know.

"Come with me, agent," Fury ordered, ignoring my shocked expression.

So I followed. What else could I do?

Fury strolled into his office, the one with the large window, and faced me with his hands clasped behind his back.

"What did you tell you? Tell me everything. Don't leave out a single detail."

I bit my lip, but I launched myself into the story. Telling him about the creatures, the sword, and the pendant, and how Loki has to retrieve it. It wasn't an entire story, though, because I left out the small detail that the pendant was in the possession of Tony Stark. I don't know why, but something in me was just telling me no.

"I see," Fury said. "I understand now why this assignment took so long." He paused. "Does Loki know where this pendant is?"

"No, sir," I said immediately, the lie flowing from my lips far too easily.

"Alright," Fury responded, believing my lie. "Very good work, Agent Romanoff. You can take the rest of the month off. Consider it your Christmas break."

"And what about Loki?" I questioned, refusing to leave despite the cues he was giving me.

"What about him?"

"I mean...he could be in danger for all we know. Shouldn't we-" I began, but was interrupted.

"He is out of our hands, now. Besides, he is no longer a use to us," Fury said, walking to the door to show me out.

I balled my hands into fists. Were we really going to do nothing? "Thank you, director," I said dryly, exiting his office and going to find Clint to take me home.

I thanked Clint when we pulled up to my house. I gave him a small hug when he walked me up to the house, not sure when I would see him again. Bruce had come with us, and he followed me inside.