Chapter 17

I still felt guilty about the night before. I woke up to blinding wintry sunlight streaming through my window. Rolling over with a groan, I looked at the time and saw that it was nearly 10:00. I gasped. I can't believe I had slept in so late!

I stood up got in the shower. As I rinsed, I thought about Loki. I found myself doing that a lot lately. I was just so angry with him since I had talked to Fury. The way he wouldn't open up to me after the kindness I had showed him, after everything. I had told myself that it was only a matter of time, but that was not longer true. He wasn't going to tell me anything. I had until Christmas to keep up the lie.

Part of me had just gotten so frustrated with Loki that I had lashed out, literally, at him. It was just a horrible end to a good night. I had had a good time with Bruce, and then I had to return home to Loki. Such a shame.

But, despite all of that, why was it that I had not once thought about my and Bruce's almost-kiss? Normally, I would be gushing in my head about it. But no. I was thinking of Loki over Bruce...again. I felt frustrated that I would do that, but thinking about Loki was just second nature. He had been living in my house for over a month, after all.

After my shower, I towel-dried my hair and put on some lounge clothes. I walked out of my room and to the kitchen. I glanced over to see Loki in the corner chair, reading. He had looked up from his book when I emerged from my room, but he looked back down when I looked over.

"Good morning." I tried hopefully. Loki didn't reply. I didn't blame him.

I looked over at him again and saw he had a large bruise along his jaw and chin. I felt pity and guilt as I looked over a him. I went to the freezer and got out an ice pack before walking over to him. He glanced up at me as I approached. I watched as he shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

I sat on the arm of the chair, twisting my body so I was facing him even if my legs were facing the opposite direction. I gently took the book away from him and placed it on the TV stand next to me. Loki glared up at me, but I ignored his stare as I summoned up courage. I put two tender fingers under his chin and tilted his face up toward me.

I felt my face heat up as Loki's eyes searched mine wordlessly. I pressed the ice against his bruise and he flinched at first, blinking. I was blushing fiercely; my face felt like it was on fire. I briefly thought about pressing the ice against my flaming cheeks instead. I didn't, thankfully.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. Loki didn't reply. I kept going. "When I went in to SHIELD yesterday, I talked with Fury, and he was not happy with me. He made me feel bad about myself, about everything I've been doing this past month. He persuaded me into thinking that being kind to you was a waste of time. He made me think that everything I did for the past moth was just a waste." Loki broke my gaze, but he was clearly still processing my words. He was listening intently, thinking them over in his head. I'm pretty sure.

I moved the ice pack so that the coldest part was pressing against his bruise. "When I got home, I was angry with you. Frustrated. I guess I still am."

Loki looked back up at me, and I continued. "He said I have until Christmas to find out what happened to you when you arrived back on Earth. I don't know what is going to happen after that."

Loki sighed, exasperated. "If this is a new method to get information out of me, it's-"

"It's not." I insisted. He looked at me, searching my eyes as if to see if I was lying. He then looked away, realizing that I wasn't. "But...if it was, you know, a method to extract information...is it working?" I laughed as I spoke, hoping he understood that I was joking.

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. I pulled the ice away with a small smile on my face.

He touched the bruise on his jaw as I pulled away. "Thank you." He said softly. "And...it's okay." Loki cringed, as if the forgiving words were physically hurting him.