Chapter 29

I opened my eyes and groaned. I tried to sit up, but the head began to spin and I collapsed back down.

"He's awake," I heard someone behind me say. "Should we put him back under?"

I tried to twist to see who was talking, but there was a sudden intense pain in my back making me moan with pain and freeze up. My vision was sharp at the edges from the pain, and I barely felt as a cold hand touched my temple and cheek, pushing my head back onto the pillow.

The hand twisted my head to the side, exposing my neck. I felt a sharp jab on my neck, and within a few seconds my body went numb. The pain faded and my eyes slipped closed again.

I had been taking a nap when the intercom blared in my ears. "Romanoff?" It was Tony. "He's awake. I thought you would want to know." The message cut off. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and sat up.

I stood up, looking around the room. I had been lying on a couch, which Tony had led me back to after we had first led Loki to the hospital 'wing.' Tony and I had talked for a bit about what had been happening for the past few months. I had never been close to Tony, but he was easy to talk to.

I wondered how long I had been asleep as I trudged back toward the hospital wing where Loki was.

I arrived at the door and peered through the small window. I saw Loki sitting up on his bed. He had a loose-fitting black shirt on. A tired expression was plastered on his face. He looked exhausted.

I opened the door, and he didn't even look up to see me enter. He stared at the floor in front of him like I wasn't there.

I walked up to him and sat on the frame of the bed, close to him. He still continued to stare ahead, his eyes blank. I summoned enough courage to reach over and touch his face. He blinked suddenly and his eyes cleared. He looked over at me and the corners of his mouth began to turn up.

I felt the corners of my own mouth pinch together as I fought to contain a smile.

Loki's smile grew to his eyes. I sat on the bed next to him and embraced him. Relief washed over me as he hugged me back. I buried my face in the crook of his neck, and he flinched as my fingers touched his injured back.

I pulled away from him and said in a hushed voice, "sorry."

"It's okay," he responded, his eyes soft. "You saved me, didn't you?"

I shrugged like it was no big deal. It was mostly Thor, anyway.

Loki's face moved a little closer to mine and my heart started pounding. If I knew anything about men from my years of experience being a spy, I was sure he was going to kiss me. I think I would have obliged if my eyes hadn't flickered toward the corner of the room where I saw a camera. Anyone could be watching. What would they think? What if one of my friends found out?

I turned my head away to stare at my lap while simultaneously tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I flushed a deep red color as blood rushed to my face in embarrassment.

I glanced over at Loki. He was staring at his lap, too. "How are you feeling?" I asked, feeling guilt stab at my stomach.

"I'm ready to go home," he responded, his eyes flickering over my face to read my expression. I felt my mouth pinch together again in a smile.

He gave me a small smile in return. I stood up and he followed, though his face twisted in pain as he did so.

"Are you alright?" I asked, concerned. He steadied himself and nodded.

We headed toward the lobby with me in the lead. Loki kept tugging at the collar of his loose shirt as if it was uncomfortable. I'm sure any fabric against his injuries wound hurt, so I didn't blame him.