Chapter 33

I have to admit, I was having a pretty perfect dream until I jerked awake. I stared out of the window on my right, wondering what woke me up.

I sat up and looked around, confused.

I was about to go back to bed. That is, until I heard a sound that sent shivers down my spine.

Screaming.

In my dream, I was in my kitchen, but it was dark, and it seemed to stretch on forever. It was like a long tunnel. Too long and dark to see the other end.

There was someone standing in the kitchen, and he had glowing white eyes and milky blonde hair. He was holding an intimidating black sword while smiling with razor sharp teeth. He was swinging the sword around like he didn't have a care in the world.

His smile grew when he saw my eyes widen with terror. Chills rippled up my spine due to the power that radiated off of the black sword and because of his eerie smile.

Without warning, he lunged at me and sliced the blade toward my head. The sword was about an inch away from my face when I let out a scream and sat up in bed, still screaming when I opened my eyes.

My whole body was shaking terribly and I had broken into a cold sweat as I clutched my arms. Terror made my blood rush as my heart pounded fearfully.

A sob escaped from my throat as I rocked back and forth, willing the panic to be driven from my body. I felt icy tears roll down my cheeks and splash against the blankets as I attempted to calm down.

A second later, I nearly jumped out of my skin as my bedroom door was opened quickly.

"Are you alright?" Came Loki's tired voice at the doorway. In the moonlight, I could just make out his white undershirt and black shorts, as well as his black hair that was a tangled mess. He looked ready for battle, though he held no weapon.

"Yes," I replied shakily. "Just a...a nightmare."

It didn't seem like a nightmare. It had felt more like a vision than a dream created from my own imagination. Still, I was not really someone who received visions.

"Okay," Loki replied. He hesitated in the doorway as I crawled back under the covers. Then, he began to retreat, closing the door as he went. The kiss from yesterday morning briefly flashed in my mind during the expecting silence between us.

"Loki?" I called out in a whisper before the door closed. He paused, so I knew he was listening, even in the darkness. "Can you stay with me?"

There was silence. I would have thought he had left if I couldn't just barely see him. I saw him approach after a minute. Loki knelt beside the bed, close to me.

"You're just tired," he murmured, but I barely heard him. With him close, I easily drifted into sleep.

I woke to a winter sunlight streaming through my window, sparkling on the wooden floorboards.

I opened my eyes and saw Loki's face right next to mine. He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping.

He was still kneeling at my bedside, which had to be painful on the hardwood floor. His forearms were resting on the bed, and his head was down, tilted to the side so that his cheek rested by his elbow.

Still half asleep, I reached my arm over to gently stroke his face. His blue eyes fluttered open at the touch and he fixed me with his glowing icy gaze. "Hi," he mumbled sleepily.

I pulled my hand away when I realized what I was doing. I almost said sorry, but I swallowed the apology when I realized that Loki hadn't exactly been opposed to my blatant intimacy.