Chapter 5

Most of the uncertain thoughts I had had last night had vanished when I woke up in the morning. Although, I still felt a little bit nervous, remembering Loki's threats he had made against me and Agent Barton only a few days before.

I made eggs and bacon that morning, still not sure what he would like to eat. He had to be hungry by now, because I was starving.

I made only one plate this time, assuming he wouldn't take it. If he did, I would make another one instead of wasting it.

I took the plate to Loki's room and knocked. "I made breakfast. Are you hungry?" I called into the door.

No response.

"Loki! I made eggs. Are you hungry?"

Still no response.

I pressed my ear against the door, listening to see if he had moved. The light was shining under the door, so I assumed he was awake.

Suddenly, the door flung open. Surprised, I fell forward. I had been relying in the door to keep me upright but it was suddenly pulled away from me and I fell.

Loki grabbed my waist to keep me from falling into him while I placed my hand on his broad chest to help me to regain my balance. I straightened up and noticed how close I was to him.

As soon as I recovered, I jumped back in surprise, leaping away from him and slamming into the hallway wall. I let out a tiny moan of pain as my shoulder blade throbbed from where I had hit it.

I brushed my hair away from my face and struggled to meet his eyes. His face looked worse than ever. He had dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept at all. He was pale, which made his bruises and cuts stand out more, and his hair was a mess. Underneath the rough exterior, his icy blue eyes held an intent look of surprise and embarrassment.

"Um...I made eggs." I mumbled. "Are you..." I almost said hungry, but instead I said, "alright?"

Without a word, he took the plate and closed the door. When the door closed, my face immediately heated up. My heart was pounding.

I could still feel his hands on my waist, and I shuddered before moving quickly back down the hallway to make myself breakfast. It took me about a half an hour and Loki made no appearance at all, not even to clean off his plate.

When I finished I went to the shower, locking the door to my room and bathroom, making it harder for anyone to get in.

I stepped into the water and immediately cringed away. The normally warm shower was icy cold. I realised that Loki must have taken a shower and used up all of the warm water while I ate breakfast. I moved as fast as I could, my teeth chattering all the while. Once finished, I changed into simple day clothes and grabbed my gun.

My heart nearly jumped out of my chest when I opened the door. A looming black figure sat at the kitchen table about 5 feet from my room. It's head snapped toward me when the door opened. I gasped before realizing it was just Loki. Just Loki. I had to get used it someone else in my house.

He looked much better than he did an hour ago. The circles under his eyes were faded, his blue eyes more bright, his hair washed and neat, and his wounds cleaned.

"Sorry, you scared me." I whispered.

"You're not going to fall into me again, are you?" He asked me, and I cracked a smile while my face turned as red as my hair. I was glad that he made it less awkward, but still embarrassed that he had brought it up at all.

"No, you're alright." I responded, walking over to the sink to clean the dishes from breakfast. I could feel his gaze burning a hole into my back. I turned around quickly to catch him staring at me.

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he responded, looking at his lap.

"What are you doing, anyway?"

"Reading." He looked back up at me, holding up a book now that had been resting on his lap. "Look, I think we need to talk."

I finished the dishes and sat down at the table as far away from him as possible.

"About what?" I asked.

"Why I'm here."

"Why do you think you're here?" I asked him.

"You need answers and I have them, Agent Romanoff. You're going to try to get them from me. Thor tried as well."

I shrugged, shifting to a seat closer to him. "I won't deny it. So, if you don't mind, I'm going to ask you a few questions right now, and I'll continue asking until I get answers." I knew this was a perfect time to question him. It was almost as though he wanted me to.

He said nothing, so I continued. "Where were you before you were found by SHIELD?"

There was still no answer. Loki calmly stared at me and I already felt frustrated. Maybe this wasn't the perfect time. I started to hardly doubt that Loki would give me answers by just asking for them. Knowing Thor, he probably did this everyday without any result.

"Did you come straight from Asgard to SHIELD?"

He did answer this time, but not in the way I wanted. "You are scarred, Agent Romanoff." He said and smirked, drawing away from me. "Scarred because of our last meeting. If I ever have Barton or you under my control again..." he slammed his fist so hard on the table I thought it would break. It reminded me so much of him slamming his fist against the glass in his cell that I leaped from my chair at the table and drew my gun. He chuckled at my reaction as if it was one big joke. "I won't fail." He finally said as the door burst open and two more guns were trained on him. "Woah..." Loki breathed, standing from the table and raising his hands above his head in surrender. The agents outside looked from me to him to see that I was alright, just shaken.

My heart was pounding, surprised. Loki had seemed so calm when I had walked out of my room. Why the sudden change of mood?

"You alright, Agent Romanoff?" Agent Anglen asked. I nodded, eyes trained on Loki, my finger pressed against the trigger of my gun, ready. I could so easily just shoot him right now.

"You can leave us now," I said, lowering my gun, "I'll be alright."

They both left, a little hesitantly.

I didn't put my gun away, just kept it at my side. "You can go now. I'll bring dinner for you later." I said to Loki.

Loki narrowed his eyes at me, "but I don't want to go in my room." He crossed his arms, immediately reminding me of a small child that had broken the rules.

"You can go now." I growled in a harder tone, squeezing my gun threateningly. He looked from my face to the gun and back.

Spinning on his heel, he turned toward the hallway and disappeared from view.