Chapter 9

I stormed off to my room. I heard Loki begin to speak his first words since that morning, "Alright. I-" but I had already shut the door to get changed.

I was currently wearing the white shirt and pants that I had worn to breakfast with Bruce, and I'm sure that would have been fine to wear, bur I decided to change anyway. I decided to wear a short, black dress. It wasn't too fancy, so it worked for a night to a club. I then grabbed a white jacket to keep me warm.

I expected Loki to be still sitting at the table, but he wasn't. Instead, he stood by the front door.

"I'm coming with you." He said.

"No." I responded, immediately.

"Why not?" He asked, looking at me expectantly, "I have been stuck in this house for weeks."

"Well you're going to be stuck a bit longer, and it hasn't been weeks." I said, though not quite sure. Had it been weeks that Loki was staying with me? I tried to push past him, but his large body was in the way of me and the door. "Loki, move."

"No." He replied stubbornly, and I felt annoyed.

I groaned. I needed to get out of this house and away from Loki, so there was no point in just taking him with me, right? It wouldn't exactly be getting away. On the other hand, I needed a good drink.

"Fine. Fine. Whatever. You can come, but you're not wearing that."

"Why?" He asked, looking down at his green shirt and pants with confusion, still not moving out of the way of the door.

"Change into something a little bit nicer if you're going out in public." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"As soon as I go into my room to change, you'll leave." He reasoned with me. He really did want to go with me. Why? What was his plan?

"I promise I'll stay right here until you're done." I said, and stared at him confidently.

Believe me or not, Loki. I'm not leaving with you looking like that. I thought to myself.

"That's what I would say as well." He said, still trying to reason with me, "But I would leave you behind."

"Well, I'm not you." I said and uncrossed my arms before taking a step back, leaving a clear path for him to his room.

He narrowed his eyes at me, clenching his jaw, before finally heading to his room.

"Wear something kind of nice!" I said when he disappeared. I moved to sit on the couch, realising with a smile that I had, indeed, lied. I didn't stay exactly where I was until he was finished.

It was five minutes later when Loki still hadn't showed that I wondered if I should just leave. But I had insisted I wasn't him, and never wanted to be like him. I sighed, waiting for him to finish as I relaxed in the chair.

After about another twenty minutes of waiting, I finally heard Loki emerge from his room. Footsteps moved down the hallway toward the kitchen.

I looked up from my seat in the darkened corner of the room and my mouth fell open slightly. Loki looked good.

Although he was a bit overdressed both for the destination and the weather, I couldn't stop gaping.

He wore a long, black dress coat with a patterned green scarf.  He had on with it a black vest, pants, and tie, with a long sleeve white dress shirt, so I assumed he would get both hot outside and inside of the crowded club.

When Loki didn't see me standing by the door, his shoulders drooped and he sighed, throwing his head back in annoyance. I realised that he was probably thinking I had left without him. He obviously didn't see me in the dark, living room corner.

He began to head back to his room when I snapped out of my trance and leaped from my seat.

"You will probably get hot in that." I said, stepping out of the shadows.

His head snapped up. I think I had surprised him. His blue gaze fixed on me as I strolled over to him and loosely grabbed the collar of his dress coat.

"Here." I said, helping him out of the coat. "You'll get too hot in that. And this." I said, touching his scarf. "A bit much."

Loki opened his mouth as if to say something, but closed it again. The surprise wore out of his eyes at seeing me. He just watched me carefully now, quiet. His cheeks were flushed, as if he was self conscious of our closeness.

I lifted the scarf over his head, careful not to mess up his hair.

I then unbuttoned the one button holding the vest in place against his body. "The vest is probably a bit much, too." I said. He didn't protest to anything, just watched me with his intent blue gaze, his lips slightly parted. I found myself staring at his lips and snapped myself back into reality. What the hell was I doing?

He shrugged out of the vest with my help. He now had only a white dress shirt and black tie.

I reached for the tie but he stopped me. "I do quite like the tie." He said, glancing at the pile of discarded clothing I had placed on the kitchen table.

"Alright," I said with a small smile, "but at least loosen it a bit. It doesn't have to be so perfect."

I shook the tie from side to side so it hung looser around Loki's neck. "My, my. I knew you mortals were informal, but this is next level. I can't even wear a tie properly." I glanced up at his face. He had an amused smile there.

It looked out of place, but it was nice. Much better than his usual smirk.

"Now we're ready." I said. "Come on."

I headed to the door with new excitement. I was surprised with myself at my sudden leeway in letting Loki come. Part of me was extremely excited to see how Loki would act in the real world (other than trying to kill people, of course).

I didn't have time to see if he was surprised as well, for I was already out of the door and heading to my car.

"Get back in the house, please." Growled one of the SHIELD agents at the door. I cursed in Russian. I had completely forgotten about getting Loki past the SHIELD agents. I turned to see Loki in the doorway, two guns trained on him. "Step back."

"No, guys, he's coming with me. It's alright."

The two SHIELD agents that I still hadn't learned the names of, faced me, their guns still trained on Loki. They glanced at each other then. "I'm sorry, miss, he has to stay here. Director's orders."

Okay, Romanoff. This is the part where you get in the car and leave without Loki. I thought. That was your plan all along.

But I didn't. "It's fine. We're just going to get a drink and come back. He can't stay in the house all of the time."

"Well, he is a prisoner." Said one of the SHIELD agents and I saw Loki roll his eyes as if he had forgotten.

"I think he deserves a bit of time out after all of the answers he gave me today. You know, about his secret plans." I don't know why I lied to them, but as soon as they heard Loki was "cooperating," they glanced at each other and let Loki pass.

Loki approached the car and got in the seat next to me. When the door closed, he spoke, "why did you lie?"

He was looking at me with a questioning stare.

I shrugged. "This is my house. I say who comes and goes, not them."

I glanced over at Loki. He had a knowing look in his eyes. He knew I wasn't telling the whole truth, but he didn't question me further, and I was grateful for that.

I put my car and reverse and pulled out of the driveway.