Chapter 34

Loki emerged from his room five minutes later completely done up in his New York battle armor that had been wearing when he attacked New York and when he fell from Asgard.

It was surprising that when he was attacking Earth, I never noticed how good he looked in his green and gold attire.

I was wearing my own Black Widow cat-suit. The pendant, Havbølger, was clutched in one hand, and one of Loki's daggers was held in the other. I handed him the dagger. "You might need this," I said, "where we're going."

He eyed it warily before taking it. "Thank you," he said.

"Come on," I said, grabbing my walkie from the corner of the counter. "I have to get in touch with the other Avengers."

When we walked outside, I swore aloud in Russian. My car was still at Stark Tower from the Christmas party because Loki had taken a taxi home with me.

"What should we do?" Loki asked, also realizing we had no means of transportation. 

"I have a motorcycle behind the house," I said, eyeing him. "It's our only option. Come on."

So, I led Loki around to the back of the house where I had a small storage shed. I unlocked the door and the only thing in the shed was a black motorcycle. It was a Stark product, and it was electric, so I knew we would be able to get there even faster this way than in a car. Still, I knew it would be a tight, uncomfortable fit.

I climbed onto the bike and patted the small space behind me. "Hop on."

Loki, his eyebrows furrowed, climbed onto the bike behind me. I stiffened when Loki's cold hands wrapped around my waist from behind to stay balanced. It took me a second to calm down before I started the motor.

"Ready?" I asked, attempting to keep a steady voice.

"Ready," Loki replied, his breath icy cold on the side of my neck.

"Hold on," I informed him shakily. His hands quickly tightened around my waist, which made me suck in a quick breath of air. I heard him chuckle behind me, so I started the bike at full speed, which made Loki jerk backward. That made me laugh.

Once we were both settled, we sped onto the quiet road that led to my house, and then onto a main road. I sped on the familiar trail to the city.

As we road, I used my walkie to contact Clint. "Clint, come in." There was a pause. "Clint?"

"Nat. What's up?" He said after a second. I wondered where he was. I prayed that he was close - preferably still in New York. "Are you driving?"

"I'm riding my bike. There's no time to explain. I need you to go to Stark Tower. I need all of the other Avengers there as well. Except for Thor, I guess. Please hurry."

There was another pause. I think Clint could hear the urgency in my voice because he responded simply, "on my way."

I handed the walkie to Loki, which he held for me during the ride. I took a sharp turn and sped down an alleyway before popping out onto a main road. I sped between two cars and made a sharp turn again so that I was facing the road. Right ahead was Stark Tower, so I rushed forward before skidding to a halt in front of the building. Loki was off the bike first, so he quickly helped me off as well and we rushed inside, a good 15 minutes after I had contacted Clint.

"Miss Romanoff," said the woman at the front desk. It was a different lady than who was normally there. "Mr. Stark said you would be coming. The other Avengers are waiting on the top floor for you."

I silently thanked Clint for his efficiency at gathering the team as I walked toward the elevator with Loki following close behind.

The woman exclaimed, "excuse me, sir! I'm going to have to ask you to..." she cleared her throat nervously as Loki fixed her with a glare. "Wait outside," she finished.