Chapter 7

Loki made no reappearance for a while, even when I started dinner. The light under his door was off and all in the room was silent, so I assumed he was taking a nap or something.

I cooked myself dinner, a salad with salmon, a few hours after I had left Loki's room.

As I cooked, I pictured Loki's wound again, bubbly and black, large veins stretching across his body. It looked like his skin was burned and charred. I had never seen anything like it, so unhuman.

I slid the salmon onto a plate before adding the salad to the side. As I did this, I heard my phone buzz and glanced over to see the small screen all lit up. I put down the full plate on the counter and picked up my phone.

It was a text, from Bruce.

Go out to breakfast with me tomorrow?

I smiled, forgetting all about Loki and the predicament Nick Fury had put me in.

I responded,

Ok

I bit my lip and put my phone on the counter next to me, a bright smile now on my face. The smile continued to linger as I sat at the table and took my first few bites of dinner, but vanished when I herd footsteps coming down the hallway toward the kitchen.

I sighed when Loki rounded the corner, taking another bite despite my sudden lack of appetite as he appeared.

He looked more refreshed, the color that had drained from his face hours before had returned.

He looked at my food and then at me but didn't say anything. Feeling awkward, I spoke first, "How are you?"

"Better, I think."

"Do you need your bandage changed? I have another wrap." I said, standing up and moving toward the cabinets.

"I'm not sure," he said, touching his lower right abdomen. I watched as he flinched and then relaxed.

I opened a cabinet that had different types of medicine, cough drops, and bandages, and grabbed another long wrap like the one currently wrapped around his wound.

I walked back over to him and indicated the bandage in my hand. Placing it on the counter, I quickly grabbed a towel and soaked it with water. I turned back around to see Loki pulling his shirt over his head and draping it over one of the chairs. My eyes flickered away from his bare stomach as I pretended to be busy unraveling the new bandage. I could already feel the heat in my face.

When I finished I looked to see him watching me. His right arm was raised slightly in the air so I could see the bandage wrapped around his stomach and waist. One part of the bandage, on his right side, was soaked with black blood.

I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist to untie the bandage in the back. He raised both hands to the top of his head to leave me room to work. I tried not to feel self-conscious, but my heart was drumming painfully in my chest. I was so close that I could hear that his was too.

I began to unwrap the bandage while talking, "so how did you get hurt?"

"I still can not tell you." He mumbled.

I let out an angry sigh while I focused on my own work. As the bandage unwrapped, it became stickier and harder to pull away from his skin. Finally finished, I let the bandage go and observed the wound. The veins were gone and it was no longer bubbly or bleeding. It just looked like dried, black blood. A healing, but uncleaned wound.

I grabbed the wet towel and cleaned the blood away to see a pink, healing cut.

"How...is that possible?" I asked, looking up at his face. He, too, seemed surprised. The wound had been torn open just hours before. How could it already be mostly healed?