Chapter 20

I jerked awake by a loud sound coming outside of my bedroom door. Footsteps. It sounded like they were approaching my door, but then they retreated again. I felt my tired mind race with panic. Was there an intruder? Desperately wishing I had a weapon, I pulled on a robe and prepared to fight a possible invader. I flung open the door and raised my fists.

The 'intruder,' which I quickly realized was Loki, stopped pacing as soon as I opened the door. "What are you doing?" Loki asked when he saw my fighting stance.

"What are you doing?" I asked in turn, lowering my fists. So Loki was up for the second night in a row. That was fine. But I couldn't help but get annoyed that he kept waking me up. I wondered if the time he had spent in his room, he had spent sleeping. Maybe he was becoming nocturnal after all.

"I couldn't sleep." Loki said quietly.

"Alright," I said, "but do you really have to wake me up. This is two nights in a row. Did you sleep during the day?"

"No." As soon as he said that, I noticed that he looked extremely tired. He had the beginnings of dark circles under his eyes, and his shoulders were drooping.

"Are you alright?" I said. I was still annoyed. Who wouldn't be? Being woken up at 2:30 in the morning twice in a row was not something I enjoyed, especially by Loki. But at the same time, I was slightly worried. Was he not sleeping? What was wrong?

"When was the last time you slept?" I asked curiously.

"Two days ago, during the day." Loki said. "I'm sorry if I woke-"

"Loki, stop." I interrupted him, annoyance creeping into my voice again. "You need to get sleep."

In his eyes, I noticed a flash of anger and something else. Fear?

Was he afraid to sleep?

"I don't need your help. Thank you." Loki said. He sounded angry. He was clearly still irritated with me from yesterday. Who could blame him? I was very much regretting what I said. I acted like I didn't care about him. Though I tried to ignore the feeling, I did care for him. At least a little bit. Loki turned away from me and strolled info the living room.

"Loki, I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. I didn't mean it."

Loki glared at me sharply, making me freeze. Seizing his chance, he paced back out of the living room and down the hallway to his room. I followed as he slammed the door behind him. I opened it before he could lock it. Closing it gently behind me, I saw him walking over to his bed and sitting down. I sat down next to him.

"What?" He asked, exasperated, staring at me.

"I'm sorry. For everything I said. Can you please forgive me?"

He broke my gaze and stared at the floor in front us. "Natasha, I-" He sounded angry.

I interrupted him by grabbing his face with my hands. He looked completely shocked at my geasture, and he began to pull away, but I held him close. "Loki, I care more about you than I do about what happened to you when you came to Earth. And whatever happened to cause that." I pointed to his chest where I knew there was, or used to be, a horrifyingly unnatural black wound. "And about my job. Because, frankly, it's replaceable," I paused, "You're not."

Loki's searched both of my eyes with his own. His eyes were soft and the beginnings of a smile were pulling at the corners of his mouth. His eyebrows were furrowed slightly. He looked genuinely happy, caring, but slightly confused. I wondered if anyone had say anything like this to him before. By the expression on his face, I highly doubted it.