Chapter 31

"We look ready to go to a funeral," I noted when Loki and I both stood in the kitchen together, ready to leave. It was true. I had on a black dress and Loki had on a black dress shirt and pants. It was almost depressing.

"I can change," Loki offered quickly, but I waved him off.

"It's fine."

I began to head to my car and Loki followed quickly and obediently. 

I felt bad.

I had decided that I was going to give him a cold shoulder at the party so that nothing seemed too fishy between the two of us. Also, I knew Bruce was going to be at the party, and if I could not ruin things with him over my run away feelings for the God of Mischief, that would be great.

I ignored Loki all the way to Stark Tower. I could tell he noticed, because he kept glancing at me, judging my mood and waiting for me to do something. So, naturally, I did nothing.

I got out of the car and grabbed my presents for Loki, Clint, and Bruce. I shoved the present for Loki in my back pocket, but I had to carry the ones for Clint and Bruce.

The two of us were welcomed in immediately and ushered to one of the more notable floors in the tower. It was a large room, basically the entire floor, and it had two bars on both sides of the room, a large seating area with couches in the middle, and giant windows on the far wall. Plus, there was a large Christmas tree, cheerful music, and Christmas decorations strung about.

"Natasha, you made it!" I heard Bruce say. He came over to me wringing his hands, looking as timid as ever.

"Hey, Bruce," I said. I saw it reasonable to hug him, so I did, glancing awkwardly at Loki as I did so. Loki looked down at his feet and my heart clenched.

"Do you want a drink or anything?" Bruce asked, and I nodded. Bruce pulled me off toward one of the bars, leaving Loki behind. "So how have you been?" Bruce asked when we sat. I ordered a drink as he spoke. "I see Loki's alright."

I couldn't exactly read the emotion in his voice, but then again, Bruce was the best at hiding his emotions.

"Yeah..." I replied, "Thor brought him back." I thought it would be best not to elaborate on my desperate rescue mission and tender moments with Loki afterward.

"Good. I mean, it's good that he's safe," I could practically hear the unsaid 'I think' in his voice.

I smiled shyly, desperate to move the conversation away from Loki. "I have a present for you, actually." I said.

"I noticed," Bruce said, looking at the two gifts in my hands. I handed him one, as the other was for Clint.

Bruce thanked me and unwrapped the gift I had handed him. He laughed as soon as he saw what it was. I defended myself quickly, grinning as well. "I was thinking, maybe, you didn't have to 'always be angry,'" I said referring to the battle of New York three or four months ago when he had transformed into the Hulk to fight the Chitauri.

Bruce held up a box of tea bags, a mug, and a packaged CD of relaxing music. "Thank you, Natasha," Bruce said, his eyes shining with amusement.

"No problem," I replied, the corners of my mouth pinching together as I smiled. I took a quick sip of my drink that had just arrived.

When I put the glass down, I saw how close Bruce was. I think I would have pulled away except I knew that would make things between us too awkward and strained.

"Do you mind if I...?" Bruce asked, his face close. He didn't finish the question, but I knew he wanted to kiss me. 

I finished his question by kissing him first. Bruce's hand moved tenderly to my cheek. It was our second kiss, and again I was the first to pull away. I glanced over to where Loki had been standing.