Chapter 15

As soon as I got in my car, I started driving. I felt unwelcome. I felt sick.

The confrontation with Fury had left me feeling worse than I thought I would.

As soon as I pressed the pedal, my eyes began to water, but I blinked back the tears. Don't cry, I told myself. Don't cry.

My queasiness quickly turned to anger. I was angry at Fury for putting so much pressure on me, angry with Clint for being so distant, and so, so angry with Loki for being too damn stubborn. I found myself really hating Loki. 

I pulled up to the house and let out a long sigh, rubbing my temples in an attempt to relieve the stress that was building up in my mind and body.

I opened the door, and saw that the same guards will still here, Agent Paul and Agent Carsten.

I nodded and said my hellos before placing my hand tentatively on the doorknob.

"Agent?" Agent Carsten asked curiously, watching my hesitation.

I waved him off and pulled the door open. To be honest, when I opened the door, I fully expected myself to march over to Loki and force him to tell me everything. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I was so angry, I knew I could do it. But, when I looked over at the living room and saw Loki sitting on the chair in the corner, reading, I couldn't help but let out a small laugh. 

He was hanging upside down, the completely wrong way, on the chair. His legs were draped over the back, holding him up, and his book was held in his face in front of him. Hearing my laugh, he moved the book to hold against his chest.

"You're back." He said. I nodded and he sat up.

I glanced at the time as saw it was nearly 5:00. I had been gone for two hours?

The thought instantly made me think about my talk with Fury again. I pursed my lips and turned away from Loki, my anger resurfacing.

"Are you alright?" Loki asked, and I heard him stand up.

I let out a sigh. "Yeah." I then turned to him and clapped my hands together. "What do you want for dinner?"

Loki furrowed his eyebrows, clearly confused by my sudden changes in mood. He didn't question me further, which I guess I was thankful for. He shrugged. 

"Well, I am not going out to eat again. I have to go out shopping. I'll be back."

"Alright." Loki said, and returned to sit down. I glared at him when his back was facing me. Fury was right, talking to him wasn't going to cut it.

I had decided on soup (because it's the only thing I know how to make). It was canned tomato soup, and I got cooking as soon as I got home. 

To his credit, Loki did try to start a conversation twice, but my replies were brief and uninterested. I didn't talk to him as I cooked, and had my back faced to him most of the time. Instead, while I cooked, I thought about what I was going to do, really do, to extract information from him.

Fury's talk was somewhat of a wake-up call. He was right. Of course he was. I had wasted an entire month doing nothing. In fact, I had made my job harder. There was no way I could force the information out of Loki now, not now that I had started to get to know him. Now that he was somewhat of a friend. It would be too hard to hurt him.

I sighed. This actually sucked. I wondered if I should just give Loki up to someone else, but then I quickly decided against it. It would be too humiliating. I would appear weak and incapable. I had to do this. I could do this.