Chapter #4

A soft light illuminates the porch of the Rogers' elegant household as we arrive one hour and a half later than our curfew. Crickets sing into the night and I sigh. We're finally here.

"How do we keep getting into these situations?" Merina parks the car and takes off her seatbelt.

"It's been over a decade of friendship and I still don't know," I mimic her actions and open the door, the cold wind greets me again.

"Do you think they got the plates?" Merina looks worn out and worried. I hope she doesn't pass out, she used to do it a lot when we were younger. She ate so little she was borderline anemic and passed out a handful of times in front of the whole school after being in stressful situations. That was until she listened to her parents and started living a healthy life. Something I'm still trying to achieve.

"I think they didn't, you drove us out of there pretty fast," I assure her.

We walk into the house quietly and as soon as the door closes Mrs. Rogers' steps echo through the hallway.

"Merina? Blair? Where the hell where you girls?! It's almost three in the morning!"

"I'm sorry mom, my car ran out of gas and we had to tell some guys at the party to help us get it to the nearest gas station, I had no money..." Mer lies.

"How could you not realize it didn't have enough gas... you were so careless. Something could've happened to you!"

"We're okay mom, chill... I'm really, really sorry,"

"Well, your dad fell asleep but he was really mad earlier, this talk isn't over, missus, prepare for a word from him tomorrow,"

"I know mom, I'm sorry," she apologizes again and a short pause follows.

"We'll talk about this little adventure in the morning," Mrs. Rogers sighs tiredly and we say goodnight to each other before we get into Merina's room quietly.

"I have to tell you something," Meri says as soon as she closes the door.

Six words, seven syllables that when coming from your best friend, can only mean that she's got some juicy gossip to spill or she's about to confess something that you'll take to the grave.

"Oh God, what?" I squeal and plump down on the soft covers of the king-sized bed.

"Well, you know I was looking all over the place for you... I had already looked everywhere except upstairs, so I went up and guess what?" She sits down beside me with her eyes wide open with excitement.

"You found Cole in bed with someone else," I say knowingly.

"I found Cole-" She starts excitedly but then frowns disappointed. "Yeah, how do you know?"

"Natalie told me she saw you come in there so I was the second witness of the whole thing," I scrunch my face in disgust.

"Well... there was a third and a fourth," Merina tells me while she cryptically purses her lips.

Now that I didn't know. "Oh shit, and who was it?"

"Who do you think?" She smirks mischievously at me while curiosity eats me alive.

"Just tell me! I'm too tired to think," I whine.

"His girlfriend,"

I gasp and cover my agape mouth that opened wide with surprise. Poor girl. Cole has always been known for his good looks among the female population and I have to admit that there might've been a time in elementary school when I was crushing hard on him.