Chapter #6

"Hey, what's up I got your-" I squeal as Merina janks me by the arm and starts speed-walking through the busy hallway. As soon as the bell rang to signal our recess time, I went to find Meri in the restrooms as she texted me this morning. I begged her yesterday to tell me what all this fuss was about over the phone but she refused.

"Merina, what is going on?" I ask her but she continues down the hall and I start to get impatient with all the mystery.

When we reach the double doors to the gym, she pushes them open hastily and directs us towards the girls' locker rooms. When we're finally inside, she turns to me and that is when I take in her desperate features.

Bags adorn her under eyes, she's pale and she clearly didn't have the head for passing a comb through her hair in the morning or to choose her clothes as she normally does. She looks as if she spent the night out running with her sweats and the baggy t-shirt she was wearing now.

I was about to open my mouth to ask her what's going on but she beat me to it. "I'm being blackmailed,"

"Blackmailed?" I taste the strange word in my mouth as I say it.

"Yes. Blackmailed. Yesterday I received a message from a private number, it was a picture of me peeing outside in the woods at the party," Merina almost sobs and my mouth is hanging open as I process what she just told me. "and then the sender told me to meet them at Gina's Dinner after school,"

Finally, the connection between my brain and my mouth is restored and I say "Is it a girl?"

"I don't know if it's a girl or a boy but my bet's that is a girl. Shay maybe? I would like to get back at me for what we did,"

"I don't think so, she didn't know us from anywhere, how would she have your number?"

"Fuck, I don't know, Blair, I'm scared. What if these pics reach my parents? What if they're posted on Facebook or Instagram?"

My stomach churns and I'm so mad at whoever did this and I'm even angrier that I can't direct those feelings towards anybody because we don't know who this is. What the hell is wrong with people?

"They won't, don't worry. Obviously, they want something, you need to go to Gina's and find out who it is and what they want. Calling the police will make this even a bigger problem,"

"Okay... Can you come with me? To Gina's?" Merina puts her hands on my shoulders and begs me with her gaze. "I have a cap you can put on, a blond wig and a sweatshirt,"

There's a long, stunned pause from my part and I almost laugh when I ask "Why would I need that?"

"Because we can't risk this person recognizing you, B. Maybe they want me to go alone and seeing you will only make it worse,"

"Okay, I get it," I nod.

"So you'll come?" she clasps both hands in a begging gesture.

"Of course, babe. No need to ask," I hug her and I feel her relax a little. It must've been killing her keeping this all inside. I would have exploded, maybe even talked to the principal to search the content in everyone's phone.

Out of nowhere, she stiffens "Oh God,"

"What?" I retreat to my spot and Merina has realization written all over her face.

"I think I have a suspect," She whispers in amazement, and has a face that clearly says 'why didn't I think of this before'.

"Who?"

"Reid!" She exclaims and looks me in the eye.

"Reid? Like, Mason Reid?" I don't know why I'm so incredulous but I just couldn't see him blackmailing anyone. He seemed like the type of guy who got what he wanted when he wanted without much effort.