Chapter #33

Can a silver lining turn gold?

Another story untold

Why do we even try?

Not out of love, but we out of time

I walk the school's corridor listening to Rita Ora with my hands wrung together, my arms crossed over my torso. I'm wearing a burgundy hoodie that now fits a bit large on me. October's cold air is here and I love it because no one has the hoodie and sweater collection I have. My cheeks and nose are rosy from the cool air hitting my face. I paired it with my favorite black, cargo-looking pants, that I must admit, shapes my butt perfectly.

I put my hair up in a messy bun with a few tendrils framing my face naturally and decided to coat my lashes with a bit of mascara and cover my lips with a faint hint of clear lacquer. It has been a while since I felt truly... pretty for once. I don't know, I'm not even wearing a full-on glam makeup or a dress or anything too fancy it's just me with an outfit I wear almost every day, but I feel great.

I open my locker and get my books out and hear a low whistle. I look up and see Cole looking me up and down with a smile that's supposed to be charming but it only makes me roll my eyes. "Hey, Blair,"

"What do you want, Cole?" I ask him curtly.

"Nothing, you look good today," He sounds honest, almost impressed, but still as if he was having fun about something I haven't noticed about myself yet. As if I cared about impressing him...

I give him a side-eye look and nod.

"Thanks," I say and much to my relief, Danielle arrives at my side with Camille.

"Lost something, Stevens?" Danielle opens her own locker and gets her books out in a pretty much natural manner; she addresses Cole without hiding the true meaning behind her question too much: Get the fuck out of here.

"I lost sight of the Blair Saunders I've known all my life,"

I set my jaw. He's teasing me, I know that taunting smile way too much not to notice. I turn my body to him and narrow my eyes. "Get lost Cole, let me get my books in peace," As I'm turning to my locker to continue getting books out, I catch a glimpse of an all too familiar silhouette reclining against the lockers.

He's got a stone-like face, undecipherable and distant. I serve him a mirrored expression while Cole walks away with a taunting smirk on his face. Just when I was feeling good about myself.

The bell rings and I say goodbye to all my friends, save for Merina, who I haven't seen or heard of since yesterday I told everyone to meet me at Gina's. I sent her a voice note telling her everything we talked about there last night but when I woke up this morning, there was no answer from her.

I walk to class with my head down, listening to my music when I feel the weight of someone's gaze on me. I look up and see Liam walking straight up to me with an upturned smile and a sad glint in his eye.

"Hey, Blair," He sighs heavily and I smile lightly at him.

"Hey, Liam... are you okay?" I ask him cautiously.

He sighs again, there's a fit of underlying anger to him but it is mostly disappointment and sadness. "She rejected me," He says finally after a hesitating pause and my eyebrows shoot up in surprise. He sounds accusing and I try to remember how is this any of my fault.

"Merina?" I ask dumbly and he nods curtly. "I'm so sorry, Liam. So, so sorry. I knew she liked you a lot... it must've-"

"Changed," He finishes for me and I nod helplessly. He scoffs. "Well, her feelings aren't the only thing that changed," He wants to bolt out but I stop him.