Chapter #39

"Try this one on, Blair, I think this color will suit you beautifully," Camille's muffled voice comes from outside the door and a dress is thrown over the door at me, almost landing on my head.

"Blair, we want to see you! Show us the black one!" Danielle hollers and I grunt.

"Coming, coming. Jesus, I can't go out if you keep throwing dresses at me!" I grumble as I look at myself in the mirror one last time. The dress has this extremely soft material that makes it feel like I'm wrapped up in clouds. I chose a black one because they say the color stylizes the figure and makes you look a bit skinnier. Don't ask me how. I don't know if I should hold that fact accountable for my choice, but if it is true, then I hope it works its magic on me.

The A-line skirt falls heavy around me, and I like that. I don't like princess skirts that fluff around me and difficult the task of walking. It isn't less elegant though; the design is making me feel like someone worthy of a regal veneration. The dress has an off-the-shoulder sweetheart neckline, but it has short bishop sleeves that reach an inch above my elbow.

I smile and get out of the fitting rooms. Danielle, Camille and Tori grin wide when they see me. "You look beautiful!" Tori shrieks and Camille nods her head clapping excitedly.

"I love the design, it fits you like a glove!"

"I don't know about the color though," Danielle expresses.

"I know," I admit with a pout. "I wasn't sure about it either, but it fits pretty well," I shrug.

"Yeah, but isn't the skirt too long? Didn't you say the wedding would be in a garden or something?"

"Oh, I didn't think about that," I frown. Now I have to look for options again. Sigh.

Shopping it's a nightmare. Even though I love clothes, clothes just don't seem to love people like me. I've dropped a few sizes; now I'm a size 11, but most stores manage either 10 or 12 and I struggle with it being too tight or too loose.

On the bright side, I'm glad my mom let me come to buy the dress for Jo's wedding with my friends. I think she knows by now that it is a stupid idea coming with me, considering we have very, very different tastes when it comes to clothes. That, and the fact that she hates shopping and that we work hard to find anything on my size.

"Well, try the green one I handed you!" Camille smiles and points the dress that hangs irreverently from the door.

"It has so much sparkle on it!" Danielle spat.

"So?" Camille retorts outraged while Tori helplessly remains silent, watching them banter.

I leave them to it and look carefully around the store from my spot... then I see it. The silk fabric calls to me and I walk to it with the black dress dragging on the floor behind me.

It's a navy blue silk dress, with flounce sleeves and an elegant slit on the leg. It has a v-neckline on the chest and the back, the latter dropping deeper, making it sexy. It's perfect. I check the size and smile. When things like this happen, when I find something that I like and that fits me, it's the best in the world.

I take it and get in, ignoring my still bantering friends. The dress is almost a slip-on due to the softness of the silk. The color makes me look elegant, but the design is juvenile and fun. And I'm loving the slit and the exposed back, it shows just enough. It hugs my figure wonderfully without it being completely plastered against me. It's perfect!

I come out of the dressing room and Tori gapes. Danielle and Camille are still at it until Dany fleetingly turns her head and sees me. She makes a double-take before gasping and Camille smiles so wide her eyes disappear.