Chapter #18

Toc.

"Bear, come on, this will not get us anywhere, I said I'm sorry!" I could practically hear his goddamn smile, meaning that what he said was just to placate me which just riles me up more and makes me ball my fists.

Toc.

"Beeear," Reid whines like a spoiled child behind me but quickly our dear librarian shuts him up and I thank her with a subtle smile that she returns sympathetically.

Toc.

"Stop. Throwing shit. At me." I finally break the silent treatment for the first time ever since detention started.

"Then turn around, talk to me,"

I refuse to turn and speak other than that phrase because really, I only did it because it was vital for my mental sanity to get him to stop throwing eraser chunks at my head. It was driving me take-a-chair-and-throw-it-out-the-window-mad.

Toc. Toc.

...

Toc.

"Fuck, just stop it already!" I whisper harshly and turn to him nostrils flaring and eyes narrowed into the most deadly stare I can muster.

But he fucking chuckles at me.

"You know, I should be mad at you for sending me to the hospital this last two days,"

I scoff and turn to finally face him.

After our quick meet up with principal Callahan and Rick spilling the tea faster than anyone said 'tell me what happened', Reid's parents took him to the emergency room and was hospitalized for two days, giving me the chance to mentalize for the next two weeks of hell and tell my mom patiently that I'd be leaving school later than normal because I got fucking detention for two damned weeks.

She was surprised because yes like you're thinking right now, it is the first time ever in my academic history that I've gotten detention. And it isn't even something that I did!

Anyway, detention just had to start on a weekend. Friday. The day where you just want to leave school as fast as you can and go out and have fun I'm stuck with the person I hate the most in the world.

Yay me.

"You had that coming. And you're also stupid enough to bring something you're also allergic to, to prank someone else. That, my friend, is due to your pure state of idiocy,"

He leans in and I widen my eyes before he says in a sexy throaty voice: "God, Iove it when you talk so nerdy and proper to me,"

I huff and turn around before he can see me blush, but sensing my discomfort is enough to make him laugh and get his fill.

"Okay guys, you can leave now," Mrs. Remy tells us and I all but snatch my backpack form the floor and ignore Reid who's calling me from behind. Of course, being the athletic one, he catches up and we start walking side by side. Liberty's completely deserted by now, giving off a pretty calming vibe from the usual hustle and bustle.

"You know, now that you lost, you have to at least make an effort and tolerate me because if you don't this relationship is not going to work," He says matter-of-factly and I scoff again rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, well the only relationship we'll have is by e-mail when you send me your essays and analysis through it. Maybe my phone, but not by calls though, to ask any questions. That's it,"

He suddenly stops mid-step and I turn around to face him. "Why are you so adamant on not working with me?" The way he says that to me makes me feel kind of bad for him. Sincerity and frustration color his tone, and a little bit of hurt shines through, too.