Chapter #16

"Bear," a faint whisper in my ear is all it takes to bring me abruptly back to reality. I turn my head to the right and collide with Reid's head and as he groans in pain, I flush a deep shade of red. Thank God is dark in here, he's seen me blush more times in the span of a month than any other person who knows me has... in my entire life.

"Ouch, God... At this pace, you'll smash my head into pieces," He clutches his right eye and I feel sorry for it being the victim of my clumsiness once again.

"Shut up, it's your fault for waking me up like that," I murmur and close my eyes again, inhaling profoundly. Ah, he's a douche but his scent is a godsend to humanity.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot everything is my fault with you," I could practically hear the eye roll in that phrase and that just made me roll mine in response.

When I finally muster up enough strength, I open my eyes once more and it takes some seconds to adjust them to the poor lighting. I take in my surroundings hastily. Moonlight lights up the car faintly; I can see the silhouettes of the buttons on the radio, the gear shift... I look to my right and Reid is still near enough to almost touch my nose with his and with that view, my haziness evaporates and my breath hitches.

His eyes are wide and so bright. The moon makes them look almost magical. Amidst the cool and dismal atmosphere, their shade conserves their usual warm brown tone. The hazel specks on them going strong and making me weak.

I clear my throat and sit upright again, slowly... Can't let him know how he has affected me with his closeness now, can I?

Up until this point, I hadn't noticed his truck was still on and that the sound of faint music was playing in the background. I recognize the piano tune from The 1975... Please be Naked comes from the speakers and oh that song's so peaceful I want to fall asleep again.

Mason stays put, ogling at me from under his thick lashes and still reclining in a way he is almost laying his head on my shoulder. I shiver and look at him weirdly. "What's with you and looking at people like that?" My voice sounds hoarse and kind of high pitched. Oh, great I'm getting sick.

"Like what?" He whispers and starts smirking. His facial features look even more defined and sculpted with the shadows and the light from outside. He looks more masculine and I try hard not to swoon.

"I don't know... you-you just look and look and keep looking. It's unnerving," I whisper and cough up a little. A shiver runs down my spine and I almost whine, holding the sweatshirt tighter to myself.

He chuckles. "Why is it?" He asks in a deep, husky voice as he gets closer and it's a miracle I haven't died of feels. This boy is as intense as anyone can get and as smooth as an iPhone's screen. That is just not healthy for any girls' hormones, let me tell you.

"Because you cross your eyes over and look like a sex-starved, deranged idiot," I whisper harshly, covering up my jittery thoughts.

He laughs and finally gives me some space. "Come on, Saunders get out, you'll catch cold," He says gently, his voice is still just above a whisper.

"Why are we still whispering?" I giggle quietly, looking at him directly in his eyes for answers but he just...

Drums, please,

Looks.

He stares like I'm some enigma he can't resolve and I start feeling awkward with his intensity and attention focused solely on me. This boy is just too much.

When I can't hold eye contact any longer his lips raise in a faint smile and I look down at my lap. I feel him get away and behind the wheel and I feel like I can breathe again.