Chapter #47

When we get home, I notice the lamp on the living room purposely lit, meaning my mom is spying on us. Molly says bye to Mason while stepping out of the truck and I tell her I'll be inside in just a minute.

"So..." I start awkwardly. "That was weird, huh?" I apprehensively look beside me and collide my gaze with his confused one.

"Weird? How?" Mason frowns bemused.

"I don't know... the whole ordeal of having you at my house with my whole family there..." I trail off, not sure at all of where I'm going with this. I want to know if he had a good time, or if he found my family overwhelming or annoying or cool. In the end, I think I just care about his opinion... and that distant thought scares me.

"Not at all. I mean, having your aunt and your grandma tell me I'm the most handsome man-"

"Boy," I correct him with an eye roll

"Man, Blair. I'm eighteen in January, that makes me older, therefore, a man,"

I grin. "If you say so,"

He sighs and rolls his eyes at me. "I never win with you... Anyway, what's there not to love? They all love me. Your cousins Kendra, Erica, and Denise have the hots for me. Ben and Ty don't want to kill me in my sleep anymore, Jesse is cool with me now... we agreed to train together sometime," he smiles boastfully; his eyes gleam with pride at the mention of winning my family over.

"You're so fried," I narrow my eyes with a smirk. "Jesse is a hard player,"

He scoots over and puts his arm around me in one swift motion and positions his mouth in my ear. "I like it hard," he purrs with a heavy double meaning that makes the blood on my cheeks boil and my stomach tightens.

I push his face away hardly. "Oh, you're such a dirty asshole, you know?"

He laughs at me and I can't help but join him. We go at it for some seconds until we both sober up. "Well, see you tomorrow at school, drive home safely," I smile and turn to open the shitty door.

"Oh, I'm not heading home," He retorts.

I look back. "Where are you going right now?" I ask curiously.

He smiles. "I'm going to Kyle's. Girl trouble. Apparently, Jen won't leave him alone; she's still calling him and trying to get back with him," he rolls his eyes exasperated and I gape at the statement that just filtered from his mouth. As much as I'm surprised, in the back of my mind it registers this is the first time he's ever talked about what goes on with his friends with me.

"Oh," I muse, putting the puzzle pieces together in my brain until it all clicks. Finally, everything makes sense. The crazy girl going after Kyle... Liam told me about her but never really told me who. I furrow my brows; something's not right with this.

Jen and Merina became 'friends' after Kyle said they were dating, but she's the crazy ex-fling that won't leave him alone... An uneasy feeling settles in my stomach and my head runs a hundred miles per hour imagining how my best friend could come out of this hurt. Merina has to know about this now.

"Yeah, but Kyle's with Merina; she won't get it," he shakes his head.

"He 'is' with Merina," I air quote with my fingers, glaring at nothing in specific. That asshole exposed my best friend carelessly to the wrath of a crazy bitch and now she's blindingly in love again, probably willing to take on the fight.

"Well, I wouldn't be so sure it is like that anymore," Mason frowns, taken aback by my anger. I decide to drop the subject; the guy is his best friend, and honestly? He'll defend him to death even if he committed murder.