Chapter #43

After both Jo and Trevor say their 'I do's', it finally gets to the part where the priest pronounces them husband and wife, and as soon as they share the cutest kiss, every single member of the Reid family stands up to clap and yell in delight in honor of the new matrimony. I can't help but laugh at their antics as I see they've infected Trevor's family too with the same enthusiasm, making them stand up with smiles on their faces to join the applause. Even the major, Trevor's father, has stood up!

I whistle loudly and Mason laughs contentedly at me. I look at him, smiling like a lunatic. I'm so happy for Jo, for his family, for just being here with him... I can't contain myself. His smile is equally as big as mine, but it grows smaller until it is only a minute, dimpled smile. Nonetheless, his eyes are shining brighter than ever as they roam over my face. My smile reduces in size, reflecting his, but my heartbeat doubles in speed. Time freezes, and we're just looking at each other, delicately relishing in our happiness, disregarding the fact that people are rushing out to congratulate the newlyweds.

I chuckle and finally look down, with my cheeks colored. I hadn't cared about the fact that he was openly staring at my blushed face, I hadn't cared at all. Immerse in his eyes and these feelings, I had forgotten to hide what I'd been trying to deny all this time. Though, letting that small part of my true feelings show? It felt liberating. It was like a breath of fresh air.

During an hour or so that the happy couple went to have their first photoshoot as husband and wife, we were left to mingle and have some canapes and drinks; I was formally introduced to Mason's cousins, who I might add, are insanely good-looking and extremely flirtatious. That must run in the family, I guess. After each of them kissed my hand and made me promise to save a dance with them, Mason got irritated by their antics and pulled me away from them to introduce his grandmother and grandfather.

"Oh, but I have already met this beauty! She transformed me into this goddess you see standing right here," She posed and slapped her husband's shoulder to get his attention. He chuckled and shook his head.

"It's a pleasure, darling. I hope my grandson is taking good care of you," He stared at Mason over the rim of his glasses in a warning and while I choked upon an explanation, Mason merely chuckled and snaked his arm around my waist, gluing me to his side.

"Of course gramps, I'd be stupid not to, and you know I'm not," He winked at me and I almost hid my face in his chest to evade the adoring expressions of his grandparents as they watched us.

I still try to ignore the "secretive" looks they shoot at us at the table. They're sitting right in front of us and it is hard not to blush or smile benignly at them as to not be impolite. Mrs. Reid is sitting beside her mother, sided by Damien; next are Mason's uncle and aunt, and two cousins who have decided to flank each of us on the table.

I scan about and gaze at the sea of people dispersed around the garden under the giant tent. There are at least two hundred guests in here, and judging by the status of Trevor's family, very distinguished guests. Suddenly I feel totally out of place. I take an apprehensive sip of my water and try to pour down the feeling. A comforting warmth reaches for my hand under the table and I look with a barely contained warning to my side.

"Mason, what are you-?"

"Relax, Bear, I can hear you panicking from here. Are you okay?" Concern floods his eyes as he runs circular motions with his thumb over my knuckles, working like a balm on my anxiety. I smile reassuringly and cut my overthinking for the moment. I shouldn't ruin this with my insecurities; this is his sister's wedding.

"I'm okay... just overthinking," I chuckle to ease up the relevance of my admission, hoping he would just leave me be, though he does the opposite.