Chapter 3: A First Time For Everything

I wander around the spacious bedroom that I call my own. Unable to shake the unease as I pace, and I pace. From one end to another. Staring at the untidy bed I jumped out of. The memories swirling in my head. The nightmare burned into my mind.

'Damnit all!' Clenching my teeth I swing the door open. Letting out a screech as I'm suddenly bounced backwards. A steady arm catching me before I hit the ground. "Sebastian!"

"My Lord, what are you doing up so early?"

"What are you doing entering my quarters so early in the morning?!" I counter as he gently lifts me into standing. Hold your tongue, Phantomhive. You promised yourself that you'd be able to show Sebastian some kindness. You don't want to go back on the promises you make to yourself.

"I'm here to check on your well-being. After all, you are far too well known for being kidnapped in the evenings."

"It's not my fault that I'm so difficult to resist, now is it?"

"I suppose not, but since you're still here I assume a kidnapping isn't the reason you're awake now."

"How perceptive you are." I add a sarcastic eye roll as I cross my arms over my chest. "If you must know, I had a nightmare and I didn't want to stay in that room any longer."

"Oh dear, may I ask why?"

"My bedroom, specifically my bed, was included in the nightmare, now may I exit into the hallway? I'm on edge just standing in front of the door."

He seems genuinely surprised that I asked him politely, but doesn't waver on stepping to the side to let me through.

Walking through the doorway brings me instant relief, holding the back of my neck with closed eyes, I sigh. Opening them to find the attentive gaze of the man who has aided me all these years. It may be the ease I feel, the relieving of the pressure that nightmare forced upon me but... I do something neither of us expected me too. I smile. A relaxed, natural smile.

And in return I'm greeted by one given right back. In my clouded mind I say the words I set out to from the beginning. "Thank you, Sebastian. For checking on me at night. Even when I never ordered you to. I appreciate it."

"Did you hit your head too hard when you bumped into me, my Lord?"

"Just allow me to be sincere for once in my damned life, you bastard of a demon!"

"There's the Young Master I'm accustomed to."

"Ugh! I'm far too tired for this!"

"I have one more thing to say before I send you to bed."

"And what, pray, would that be?"

"You're welcome."