Chapter 10: Gentle Mornings

The gentle shaking of my shoulder awakens me, Sebastian's face being so close to mine startles me enough to make my cheeks flush a light pink. At least, that's what I tell myself.

"Good morning, Bocchan. I didn't want to wake you callously this morning, after all that transpired last night. I cancelled today's schedule for you to get the rest you need. I believe that the stress from your particular line of work is beginning to take it's toll on you."

"Ah yes, paperwork is sooooo stressful." Sarcasm drips from every word as I roll my eyes for more of an effect.

"It can be, especially when the pile gets larger and larger by the day."

"But Sebastian I can-"

"Don't say that, you can't handle everything. Last night was a clear indication of that. Which is why I thought that we should visit the gardens."

"I can view the gardens from my office-"

"You can't experience them. Now, before I dress you may I ask what you would like for breakfast this morning?"

Damn demon.

One Hour Later

The wind has weakened since I last ventured outside, the temperature has risen and the sun has decided to grace us with it's presence.

"My Lord, If I may?"

"Proceed."

"I've noticed that you've been happier recently, than you've ever been in my presence. Yet at the same time, your physical condition has gotten worse."

"What do you mean by that? I only fainted once!"

"You have bags under your eyes, you sleep randomly during the day, you've become paler and you have small bouts of dizziness as you stand." He lists off each one blankly. All I can do is look at him with an inability to answer.

"You've been keeping yourself awake at night, haven't you?"

"I don't know what you're ta-"

"You're scared to go to sleep and have those nightmares."

"N-No I'm no-"

"Don't lie to me, Ciel!" He demands with a sense of urgency. As though he was reprimanding me. Who am I fooling? He is reprimanding me. His Master.

"Mey-Rin told me that you have been asking her to make you highly caffeinated drinks to keep you awake." He sighs wearily, looking into my eyes with such sorrow. "You don't have to pretend with me Ciel. Not anymore. Tell me the truth."

I can feel the shame pressing down on me as I close my eyes, gathering up the little strength I have left. "I've been watching you die protecting me from another demon and I couldn't stand it anymore!" I almost shout as a sob escapes my lips even when no tears are shed.

"Why didn't you come to me?"

"Wha-"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I..." I swallow my pride as I stare right into those crimson eyes. "I didn't want to disappoint you."

"Disappoint me? I'm your butler. You're my Master. I should not be someone that you feel that you've disappointed."

"You're more than that."

"Oh? Then tell me what I am to you."

"A companion...A friend..." My breath hitches in my throat but I don't dare to look away.

"If you hold me in such high regard, will you confide in me, in the future?"

"I will. Which is why...I would appreciate it if you'd stay with me tonight. Even when I am deep in my slumber." His expression softens along with his gaze as he rests a hand on my shoulder. A warm smile on his face as he utters the three words that I've come to appreciate over the past few years.

"Yes, my Lord."