Chapter 19: Worry

We started off slow. We had communal meals with everyone, Sebastian sitting right at my side at the head of the table. We sat in the lounge together after he completed his tasks, enjoying each other's company, whether we read a book or played pool.

After a nightmare, I asked him to hold me while I fall asleep. And to my surprise I awoke to his arm underneath me, his other stroking my hair, my hand still gripping onto his shirt. "Good morning, Ciel."

"Five more minutes..."

"You know if you go back to sleep, you'll hate waking up all over again."

"I know but I need it...I woke up screaming twice last night... I haven't had enough sleep-"

"You're right. I'll give you another hour but after that you're getting up. Promise?"

"Ugh! Fine." I hook my pinkie around his, letting out a tired chuckle. "I promise."

We both move closer, and I fall asleep in this tight embrace.

One Hour Later

I awaken to the sound of my name softly whispered in my ear. This time, my eyes open to find my face buried into his neck. Giving myself a long stretch as I hold onto him tighter.

"Hello again," he purrs in my ear. Causing a smile to form on my face. "Hi." Is all I could manage to say as his lips press against my temple. "You muttered my name a few times in your dreams, you know."

The embarrassment causes the words to get stuck in my throat and the blood to rush to my cheeks.

"But this time you were smiling."

"I-I don't know about the dream but...I feel safe when you hold me like this."

"Then would you like to sleep like this every night?"

"Yes-" A knock on the door takes us away from our conversation. Sebastian gets out of bed to answer, only to find a slightly worried Mey-Rin on the other side.

"Mister Sebastian...Elizabeth is visiting today. Miss Paula never told me the reason. But the Lord and Lady Midford know this time."

My stomach drops as thoughts of doom rush through my mind.

"Thank you Mey-Rin, can you please ask Bard to carry the ingredients from the list I left this morning, from the pantry?"

"Of course I can..." she turns to face me, "And don't worry my Lord, we're here to support you no matter what decision she has come to."

"Thank you." Is all I can muster through my quivering voice. She gives Sebastian a questioning look to which he nods, stepping aside to let her into the room. She power walks towards me to sit down beside me and pull me into a warm hug. "Try not to worry too much. This is not your fault. This isn't something that you can control and it was a good decision to tell her how you feel. She may be hurt now, but pretending to love her as you would Sebastian would only end in heartbreak for all three of you. And one broken heart is better than three...You have been unhappy for eight years of your life, you deserve to be happy from now until the day you leave this world. Even if she isn't."

And that is when I began to weep.