Chapter 23~ Just Louis.

"How To Save A Life"- The Fray

"I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness and I would have stayed up all night had I known how to save a life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as those words left Liam’s mouth, Harry jumped up and practically ran down the hallway and into the staircase to go over to his flat. Apparently he’d had the same idea as Niall and I.

“Anna, you need to go work on your song,” Liam instructed me.

“But I was going to help Niall find Louis,” I retorted and turned to look at Niall.

“It’s okay, bird,” Niall said, using his childhood nickname for me. “I can find him myself. You need to go finish your song. It’s already four o’clock and we still have to write music along with record and mix it.”

I sighed. “Okay,” I replied. “See you in a bit, then?” I asked.

Niall nodded and smiled down at me before leaning down, giving me a lingering kiss to the lips. He pulled away all too soon and the two of us smiled at each other. “You guys are just too cute,” Zayn commented. Both me and Niall looked over at him. “I’m just saying,” he added holding his hands up in surrender.

I rolled my eyes at him and leaned over into Niall with my arms crossed over my chest and Niall’s arms wrapped around me. I smiled again just before he let me go for the last time. “I’ll be there soon,” Niall told me as I made my way to the hallway.

“Bye,” I finished and waved at him before turning around and walking away.

“Bye?” Zayn called after me. “It’s not like you’re not gonna see him again!” I scoffed and went through the door to the stairwell, rolling my eyes yet another time as the smile played on my lips.

I quickly made my way over to the door that lead to the boys’ at-home studio. I slowly opened the door and prodded inside, freezing as soon as I heard the piano playing softly over the speakers.

My gaze darted around the room looking for the source of the noise until I landed on Louis. He was playing the piano and his back was towards me so that I wasn’t seen by him. The song he was playing sounded very familiar, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it, though it was on the tip of my tongue, until he began singing in a sickeningly sweet voice that mesmerized me completely.

Step one: You say, ‘We need to talk.’ He walks. You say, ‘Sit down it’s just a talk.’ He smiled politely back at you. You stare politely right on through,” he sang as he continued playing the piano. The song was “How to Save a Life” by The Fray. I slowly and quietly began walking over to him as he continued singing. “Some sort of window to your right as he goes left and you stay right. Between the lines of fear and blame and you begin to wonder why you came.”

Louis continued and began singing the chorus as his fingers flowed smoothly across the ivory keys. “Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness and I would have stayed up all night had I known how to save a life.” I sat down quietly in a chair that was located behind him. “Let him know what you know best, ‘cause after all you do know best. Try to slip past his defense without granting innocence. Lay down a list of what is wrong, the things you’ve told him all along and pray to God he hears you, and pray to God he hears you.”

He kept singing the song, going back to the chorus, singing it through twice while the beautiful sound of the piano continued echoing around the room before transitioning straight into the third and final verse. “As he begins to raise his voice, you lower yours and grant him one last choice: Drive until you lose the road, or break with the ones you’ve followed. He will do one of two things. He will admit to everything or he’ll say he’s just not the same and you’ll begin to wonder why you came,” he sang out in a gorgeous tone.