Chapter 34~ The Search

"Searchlight"- Phillip Phillips

"So I'm sending out a searchlight to bring you back to me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was I going to do? It was my fault Harry ran away in the first place. I had to go look for him, didn't I? It was my obligation to go and search for him, because it was my fault.

I cleared my throat and shook myself. "Where are Liam and Louis?" I asked again, pulling the blanket tighter around myself. Niall still paced back and forth across the room, avoiding me at all costs it seemed. I had freaked him out when I'd screamed at his touch. I felt horrible about it. How had I dreamt up that sort of thing? Niall would never hurt me, and I knew that... so why?

"They're getting ready to go out searching for Harry," Zayn answered me. I opened my mouth to say something, but immediately closed it back once again, staying silent for the time being, glancing over at Niall every few seconds who only continued his pacing. Zayn sensed the awkwardness forming in the air and took the opportunity to leave. "I'm just going to go... get something to eat," he fibbed as he made a break for the kitchen door.

Niall's pacing ceased as soon as the door slammed shut behind Zayn, his foggy blue eyes trained on me. I slowly stood from my spot on the couch, my knees wobbling just a bit. Niall was by my side in only seconds to steady me. I swear, that boy could take better care of me than I could. He didn't speak though; only stared into my emerald orbs, searching for the answers to his unasked questions.

I felt his hand on my arm and had to stop myself from wincing aloud once again. I was beginning to think that dream had changed my perspective on Niall permanently. Harry had been so nice to me. He was really blooming into such a nice lad. He was so funny and kind and thoughtful and playful and...

I shook myself. What was I thinking? I couldn't be with Harry. That was just the Harry I'd dreamt of; that wasn't real life. Besides, Harry was not the person I was meant to be with. I had felt the same way for Niall for the past nine years. How could it change now?

But I also couldn't just sit there and do nothing. I had to go help Louis and Liam find Harry. Oh, I bet Louis was torn to pieces by Harry running away. He was probably worried sick about his missing best friend... and part of the problem was that I was too. I wanted to find the Cheshire boy. I wanted to make sure that he was okay and that he wasn't hurt or in trouble or any number of things that could have possibly happened didn't actually occur. I couldn't stand to stay there a moment longer...

But what about Niall?

I looked up at the blue-eyed boy whom I knew and loved so well. I couldn't just leave him there even though Zayn would be with him. I was his... girlfriend? I didn't know exactly. I guess he had in fact asked me. It was in a note though. I didn't know exactly how I felt about that... Still though, I had a duty to be there to comfort this Irishman whom I'd known since I was only four years old.

Niall sighed when he saw me contemplating the idea in my head. "Aine," Niall began, letting go of my hand and taking a step backwards. "Go and look for Harry if you feel like you need to. It's your decision and I'm not going to tell you how to live your life. Just please..." His breath caught in his throat. "Don't get yourself killed." And with that, Niall turned on his heel and walked away, up the stairs towards I wasn't sure where.

I looked after him in shock. I didn't expect him to say that at all. I figured he would beg me to stay with him and not go after Harry. And to be honest, I kind of wished that he had. Since he had just automatically given me permission to go, I then felt as though I was obligated to disagree and stay there with Niall and Zayn in my house. Because Niall had permitted me to go, I didn't want to as much.