Taken

John Murphy

Everything was calm.  Being the 'unsocial two' as Raven said, Emori and I were just relaxing near the wall watching everything going on (which wasn't much).

A guard on the wall called out and in an instant we were moving.  "What's going on?" I called up, alarmed.

"Not sure, someone's staggering across the plains."

Luna was climbing up the ladder and as she got to the top let out a string of curses, a mix of Trigedasleng and English.

"What is it?" Clarke called up, her and Lexa having arrived.

Luna landed back on the ground with a soft thump, "It's Octavia." She said, worry glittering in her eyes.

At that moment Octavia stumbled into camp.  There was a small cut on her right shoulder and another, larger cut, on her left leg.

Echo and Bellamy arrived, Bellamy surprisingly staying by Echo as Lincoln went to Octavia.

"I'm fine." Octavia said, a bit more harshness to her voice than anyone expected.

"What happened?" Lexa asked.

"Are you okay?" Clarke asked.

"I'm fine.  It's Ontari we need to worry about.  They ambushed us in the forest and took her."

Echo started trying to run forward and Bellamy grabbed her wrist.

"Let me go Bellamy!" She snapped, trying to pull her arm free.

"No, going after them alone will just get you killed.  I can't lose you.  We'll save Ontari, I promise."

Echo tugged once more before giving in.

"Who's they?" I finally asked.

Octavia shook her head, "I don't know, they fought like Azgeda and looked Azgeda but they weren't wearing normal armor."

"Nia's wichen mafta." Echo growled, looking back at Bellamy and struggling again, more desperate this time.  "Bellamy let me go!  They'll kill her or worse!"

"We won't let that happen but you getting yourself killed is bad and getting captured is just as bad because then we have two people to save."

"Sorry for interrupting, but what does wichen mafta mean?"

"Loyalist, follower, whichever fits.  In this case, Nia's Loyalists." Clarke said, looking to Echo who nodded.

"So now we get to fight Azgeda warriors who are bent on getting revenge for their deranged dead queen.  Sounds fun." When everyone looked at me, I put my hands up in surrender, "Just cause it sounds like suicide to go traipsing over their - especially since we don't know where they are or where they're taking Ontari - doesn't mean that I won't help.  She's family, right?  And last time I checked, a good family - this family - sticks together."

Raven beamed and nodded, "He's learning!" She cheered and I glared at her.

We all seemed to simultaneously look at Clarke and Lexa, "So, what's the plan?" Emori asked.

"Who's the fastest rider here?" Lexa asked, Clarke letting her take the lead.

"Emori and I ran around in the forest for months and she's been running around it for years, what do you need?"

"We don't have time to send a messenger - or find one.  Go saddle your horses and get to Polis as fast as possible.  Get Indra and Roan, tell them to leave Aden in charge.  Tell Roan to meet me at the Azgeda-Trikru border where we did last time." Lexa ordered, "He'll know what I mean."

We both nodded and set off, hearing Lexa continue behind us.

"We're closer and they have to get to Polis, we'll wait two days and set out."

Emori and I were silent as we saddled the horses, only speaking as we headed out the gates.

"You meant what you said about family, right?"

"Of course I did." I replied, "Now let's go save our family member."

(Readers, this book is getting close to being over.  But don't panic!  I am going to be publishing a sequel afterword that will continue this story (probably right from where this one leaves off).  Now this is not the last chapter.  Stay tuned for more notes and announcements about the sequel.  Until then, may we meet again!)