18

Friendly

Layla softly hummed to herself as she walked up the stairs of the apartment complex. She was staying the night with her father. When they first moved her parents were together but they had been arguing for a while. They were still married but her father had moved out so he could clear his mind. He was trying to figure out if his wife was cheating on him or not.

Knocking on the door her mother told her to knock on, she waited a few seconds before the door opened, revealing her father.

"Hey daddy!" She smiled and hugged him before walking inside.

"Hey babygirl. How you and your mother been?" Her father smiled.

Layla looked around noticing that the place was neat and clean. She sat on the couch.

"We've been good. Why did you move out again?" She asked. She put again on the end even though her father never told her why he moved out. She was dying to know so that she could fix it because she hated her parents being separated.

Her father sighed, sitting on the other end of the couch. "I just needed some time away from her. To focus and try to figure out some things." He said.

Staring at him oddly, she shook her head. "Whatever dad. You and mom stay hiding stuff." She rolled her eyes.

Hours passed and her father had showed her to the room she would be sleeping in. She was still upset because he wasn't telling her exactly why he moved out. She wanted to help because she liked being a family all under the same roof.

By the time her mother arrived to pick her up she was ready to get away from both of them.

She said her goodbyes to her father and slung her bag over her shoulder, leaving out.

She shut his door and jumped, hearing someone else coming out of their apartment. She let out a sigh of relief when she saw it was just a woman leaving out with a little boy she assumed was her son.

She jumped again hearing another door close. She glanced across from her father's apartment and her heart rate picked up.

"Hey! Kofi is it?" She smiled quickly making her way over to him, she was so close she could smell his cologne and she loved it.

Kofi furrowed his eyebrows and looked up from his phone seeing her. He licked his lips before nodding.

"Yeah that's me. Layla?" He was confused as to why she was here and talking to him.

Layla nodded with a smile. "Yeah..." she bit her lip. "Hey do you mind if I use your phone to call mine? I lost it and I need to find it before I go..." she looked around.

Kofi looked at his door for a few seconds before nodding and handing her his phone. It was cold out but it wasn't freezing cold.

Layla smiled before dialing her number. Her phone began ringing from her back pocket. She grabbed it and let out a sigh. "How did I forget?" She let out a small laugh. "Thanks. You mind if I save my number?"

Kofi just stared at her and she took it as a yes. She quickly saved her self as Layla😜.

Just as she was giving Kofi his phone back, his door opened and some girl walked out with a frown on her face.

"Kofi I changed my mind-" the girl stopped and looked at her.

Layla furrowed her eyebrows but then noticed that the girl was Zaidee. She quickly smiled. "Hey Zai!" She pulled Zaidee into a hug.

"What are you doing here?" Zaidee asked with a confused expression.

"I could ask you the same thing." She let out a laugh. "But my dad lives right across the hall. I'm waiting on my mom to pull up. She's probably here by now." She looked away for a second. "What are you doing here?"

Zaidee looked at Kofi before shrugging. "I stayed at his place. We're about to go eat." They had did another Netflix and Chill date and Zaidee didn't feel like going home after.

Layla sucked her teeth. "Are you two together?" She was afraid of the answer she might receive but she needed to know.

Kofi looked at her weirdly. "Yeah." He nodded.

Layla looked at Zaidee just to see that she had nodded also. She wanted to cry. "You guys made it official?"

Zaidee looked at Kofi for a few seconds. "No..." she shook her head.

Layla smiled mentally. "Where are you guys going to eat? Maybe I can tag along."

Kofi scrunched his face up. "Nah-"

"IHop." Zaidee unintentionally cut him off.

"Ooh. Can I meet you guys there? How about we meet there in an hour?"

Zaidee furrowed her eyebrows. "We were about to leave now..."

Layla waved her off. "Please. I wanna hang with you while we're out."

Zaidee looked at Kofi and he just shrugged.

"I guess." She mumbled.

"Yes! I'll see you guys in an hour." Layla smiled. She needed to go home and get all dressed up, do her hair and makeup and make sure she looked perfect. In her mind she was picturing it as a date. She was going to be eating with Kofi.

She quickly jogged down the steps and her mother's vehicle was waiting for her. She threw her bags in the backseat and jumped in the front.

"I thought it was supposed to be just us going to eat?" Zaidee said as she threw herself on the couch. They had nothing to do for the next hour and Zaidee's stomach was growling.

"Me too." Kofi mumbled while sitting in the recliner.

"Welp. At least we get to hang out. I would call Deja but she's out of town for Thanksgiving." She stared at the carpeted floor.

The room was quiet and both of them grabbed their phones. They were just gonna lounge around until they felt it was time to go.

——————————————————

Short I know, I've been busy this week but I'll be publishing the next chapter later tonight.