61

I DID NOT PROOFREAD

JUNE

Zaidee Carter

"But they're like two different reds." I said as I examined the color of Deja's finger and toe nails. She'd went to get them done yesterday and was wondering if I could tell the difference. I could.

"Is it like really obvious? Like, could you tell before I pointed it out?" She asked while looking at them herself.

"Yes. Your nails," I pointed to her hand. "are much brighter. You get it?" I looked at her facial expression for an answer.

"I mean I guess." She nodded slightly, while comparing the two herself.

I just nodded along before picking up my water bottle and drinking from it. We had been at her house for a few hours now.

"Any plans for tonight?" I looked over at her before shaking my head no.

"As I figured. You know how we went to Vance after graduation party?" She asked. I just nodded my head. I hadn't known Vance personally but his party was pretty nice.

"Well, this guy, Jayson, having one tonight. He wanted to have his graduation night, but Vance was already having his so he just waited. You tryna go?" She gave me a hopeful look and I just stared at her.

"I mean I can ask Kofi if he wanna go, but I doubt it cause we already been to Vance's." I shrugged my shoulders. Kofi didn't really party a lot. Most of the time he was too busy. Which wasn't really a problem for me because I was no party animal myself.

"Girl don't worry about Kofi. You don't have to attend every party with him. You'll be good without him."

I gave her a unsure look. "I really don't think he'll be cool with me going without him. You know how he is." I averted my attention somewhere else.

I heard her let out a sigh showing that she wasn't really trying to hear what I was saying. "Zaideee. Just don't tell him. You can just say you're staying over here with me." She gave me a look like she'd just said the smartest thing ever. I shook my head with a small laugh.

"Worst advice ever. Definitely not doing that. He'd be so mad if he found out. He'd think I went to meet some nigga." I said.

"Pleaseee. For me. I just want to go to a party with you, without Kofi hovering all around you. Just us." She put on her best pleading face and even though I could've easily said no, I said yes. Not because of her sad face, because I figured nothing could go wrong.

"Sure Deja." I rolled my eyes. "Let me call Kofi."

"Yes!" She cheered aloud with a huge smile on her face.

I unlocked my phone and went to our messages, calling him.

I looked over at Deja who was still smiling brightly at me while I listened to the phone ring.

"Hello?" I heard his voice come through.

"Hey," I paused for a few seconds. Even though the lie wasn't super big I knew that we were still building on our trust and I didn't want to do anything to damage that on my behalf. But, I lied anyways.