Chapter 4: I hope your ship is the Titanic

Bubbles walks into my room, her bag hanging off her left shoulder. She surveys the white walls and four poster bed, the chest of draws, my desk and a large bookcase. She plops down on my bed and looks over at the photos on the right wall. "You've got a cool house."

"Thanks," I say walking in after her and laying my backpack down on my desk's chair.

"What are you doing tonight?" she asks me.

"I think we're just going over to an old friend's place," I say and spin around on the chair.

"Ooo! Really? I might know them. Who is it?" she asks the dreaded question.

I groan and mumble, "TheCollinsfamily."

"The who now?"

"The Collins family."

"Ah! Really? We gotta get you looking fiiiine."

"Nah, Bubbles, I'll just wear some random jeans and shirt or something."

"Oh, no you won't!" my mum bursts into the room with a shopping bag in her hand, two others on her left arm for the boys since we refused to go shopping with her. I don't know what's worse, actually going shopping, or letting Mum choose our outfits. "Oh, hi sweetheart," she says when she sees Bubbles.

"Hi Ms Bennett, it's nice to meet you," Bubbles says, smiling at Mum.

"You're Nat's friend! Lovely to meet you too," she says.

"I'm Claudia," Bubbles informs her and Mum smiles before handing the large pink shopping bag to me.

"Well, Claudia, I assume you'll be helping my daughter look top notch this evening, I've heard that Alex Collins is really something," she winks and walks off, closing the door behind her.

I roll my eyes. "Your mum is so cool!" Bubbles says, smiling.

"Mhm, sure," I say and turn to the shopping bags. I open them and tip the contents onto the bed beside my friend groaning when I see the dress. "Is it okay if I call my friend from Paris? I can introduce you two," Bubbles nods and claps her hands together. I log in to my laptop and skype Adele.

She picks up after around five rings and her face pops up on the screen as she beams at me.

"HEY GURL!" Adele yells, before taking her headphones out.

"Hi Dele," I say.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Not much," I shrug as Bubbles walks up behind me and waves through the camera.

"Hey, I'm Claudia!" she says from over my shoulder.

"Have you befriended my friend?" Adele asks.

"Well, I hope so... Unless she secretly hates me or something," Bubbles pouts at the end.

"Nat's not that mean," Adele laughs and Bubbles smiles. We talk for a little while, me filling her in on my first few days at school before I walk over to the clothes Mum bought for me. I call out over my shoulder to Adele, hoping she can still hear me.

"My mum bought me some clothes since we're going to... uhm, an old friend's place tonight," I tell her, picking up the clothes and walking back.

"Yes! I love it when your mum shops for you," she claps her hands through the screen.

"They're probably going to just get put into the 'restricted section' of my closet," I say, showing her the dress.

"Aw, don't put it there, I like it! I don't know why I told you to talk to me about fashion when you've got your mum," she sighs.