Chapter 22: C'mon Harry, You're Braver Than That

Meghan, Kate, Chloe and Bubbles are all sitting in my room. I've invited them over for a study session, since we've got exams next week. I'm being pretty productive, I dunno about the others though. 

"Nat?" Bubbles asks me and I look up from my book. 

"Yup?" I pop the 'p'.

"Callum wants me to bring some friends to this bonfire thing we're going to tomorrow," she says. 

"Oh, uhm. Ok? Won't I be third wheeling?" I raise my eyebrows. 

"Nope. There's a group of us going," she tells me.

"Oh. Actually, I forgot I've got something on tomorrow," I say.

"Really? What is it?" she asks.

"Nothing much, just a... just a family thing," I say, continuing with my work. 

"Stop lying, babe. Your family said they'd be home all day tomorrow and that we could stay for as long as we wanna," Kate raises her eyebrows at me. 

"Oh, erm...... I'm going to see my cousin. Yes. My cousins," I nod, convincing myself.

"What are you actually doing?" Meghan plops onto a stool beside me and looks at me, her gaze penetrating. 

"My cousins!" I blurt out, the words don't even answer the question. "I'm going to see my cousins!" 

"Nat, tell us what you're really doing," Chloe sits down on the floor next to Meghan.

"I told you! I'm seeing my cousins!" I say, looking back down at my maths study notes. 

"Do you even have cousins?" Bubbles says from where she now stands over at all the photos on my wall, of all my family and friends. 

"Um...." I whisper quietly. "Yes?"

"How do you not have cousins?" Kate asks me when 'yes' comes out as a question.

"Well... my parents are both only childs," I say. 

"AHA! You are lying to us! What're you really doing tomorrow?" Bubbles says.

"What time is the bonfire? "I ask.

"7:00, can you come?" she says. 

At that moment my phone rings. I smile at the others and walk out of the room. "Hey."

"Hullo, mate," I can hear his smirk through the phone. 

"Wassup?" I ask, leaning against the wall beside my room, shutting the door behind me to confine my friend's gossiping to one room, I really hope they don't have any extendable ears... Because I don't have a cat.

"Not much," he says. "Being suspended is bo-oring," he stretches out the word and I think I hear a ball bouncing on a wall. 

"Better you then me," I smile.

"Well, I mean, I'm already Eisenstein, school's for suckers," he says, continuing to bounce the ball. 

"Ok, Albert," I roll my eyes. "When're you coming back?"

"Aw, you miss me. Dude, I know we're B-F-Fs but I'm kinda enjoying my time at home, away from you," he says, I can hear his smile through the phone this time.

"C'mon sweet-cheeks, you just said that suspension is boring," I say.

"Did I?" he says. I laugh.

"What're you calling for, Alex?" I ask after I stop laughing.

"Oh, yeah. Pick you up at 12 tomorrow?" he asks.

"Sure. Will we be done by 6?" I ask, remembering the bonfire.