Chapter 23: No offence, Mr Piggles

"Really Mum?" I groan, shoving the duffel bag of clothes back into her outstretched hands. We move into our house this weekend, and we've been packing like maniacs to leave in time. "The sooner the better," Mum said when she announced that we'd start packing on Sunday.  She's handed me a bag of the clothes in the 'restricted section' of my closet that she's picked out for me to wear until Saturday, when I unpack. It contains all the - and I quote - essentials a 17 year old girl needs, such as: Make-up, mini skirts, jewelry, moisturizer, dresses, hairbrushes, high heels (ok, I'll stop there, you get the point) and that's enough for me to give it back to my mum. "I'll stick with my converse and jumpers."

"Well, that's the thing, honey," Mum bites her lip. This is not going to be good... "I've already packed all your clothes."

I drag my fingers down my face and groan. 

"Mum! Why? I could've done my room!" 

"I just thought it would be easier if I did it because then you'd be able to help your father moving the boxes and packing up," she says guilty. I decide to just sigh and move on. 

 I've had a look at this new place and boy, its gigantic. Its got a large pool and a humongous yard, complete with a huge old oak tree and a tree house. The house itself was built on a big block of land and makes it really a very expanded home. Its got amazing bedrooms and a marble kitchen with tiled floors downstairs and timber ones upstairs. There is a whole basement for the boys and my parents told me I could decorate the tree house to make it a "teenage retreat space," as my parents said.  It'll most likely be my new reading nook. Its a really shady and cool spot. On the left side of the house there is a vast area of land with a tennis court and on the other is the neighbor's house. Why could they not have added a large expanse of land there too, then my bedroom wouldn't be opposite to Alex's. 

Eugh. Alex. 

I tell Mum thanks, that I'll deal with the stuff I have its only for a couple of days anyway. 

That boy seriously confuses me. One second he's fighting some stranger, the next he's sweetly saying good night and then he's frickin annoying me? How does he work? 

Ever since Saturday I've been trying to forget the bonfire, how he punched someone up to protect me, when he said goodnight, his laugh and when he asked me to stay. I shake my head to get rid of the thoughts and walk downstairs. I begin packing up the dining room place mats and coasters because apparently (Lucas and Paul were very happy to hear this) we'll be eating out a lot this week. Last night it was sushi and tonight we just ordered McDonald's. 

I'm almost done and feel like my arms could fall off so I stand up quickly, stretching my back. I throw the tape-thingo onto the table - carefully - and walk into the boy's playroom place. I re-tie my hair as I walk up the stairs. Lucas and Paul are doing absolutely nothing to help. I know its a Tuesday and they've got school tomorrow, but seriously? They could do something!

Rolling my eyes, not wanting to cause another fight for my parents to deal with, I walk into Dad's study. I start tidying it immediately and have it done within 2 hours. 

Mum and Dad told me they'd been searching for houses for quite a while and found one suitable. They put in an offer and the owners were given five days to sell it to them. It was a really quick process. This time a few days ago I had no idea we would be moving house in less than a week. Exams start tomorrow. I've had a hard time cramming in packing and studying, but its the only thing I can do to get my mind off... Him

I shake the thought of Alex out of my head again and keep packing.  

Christmas break is at the end of the week, and Alex and I are supposed to perform our music assignment in two days (which we haven't even started practicing,or got lyrics to, by the way). I sigh and heave the boxes out onto the lawn. Even though the atmosphere is cool, Dad and I still have sweat on our faces from carrying heavy boxes.