Chapter 41: I think you call that ... IRONY

Alex POV:

"You looking forward to this trip, baby?" Amanda asks. I look at her quickly, then turn back to the window.

"Kinda," I mumble, looking at the ground get further and further away. She places a hand in mine. Its not warm and doesn't fit in mine like Nat's does. I stiffen. She brings our joined hands onto my thigh. Her hand is cold and her pointy nails are digging into my skin. She whips out her phone and shows me some screenshots she took of her Instagram feed.

"Look at this one of us!" she says, showing me the picture of her and I at the modeling thing. I nod and look away.

"Babe, you ok?" she asks, squeezing her nails into my hand again. I nod again and continue looking out the window. She sighs and puts on the head phones for her little TV screen on the back of the chair in front of her. "Whatever." She starts watch 'Mean Girls' and doesn't speak to me until it finishes.

I continue to look out the window at the clouds. Its a beautiful view. Of course, I like another view better. Woah, that was creepy. I pull out my phone and plug in my headphones and click on a random 'pop hits' playlist.

I miss you by Julia Michaels starts playing and I lean my head on the window's glass, watching everything fly by.

Nat and I haven't spoken in a week. I don't know why. I didn't tell her I'd be in Virginia for two weeks, and I know she's confused about why she's mad, because she keeps giving me smiles in the hall that turn into grimaces. Its confusing for both us, I know.

And I miss her because I'm a crazy person in love. And now this song is playing. I think you call that... IRONY.

I sigh and continue to look out the window as Amanda's closes her eyes, her headphones digging into my shoulder as she puts her head there.

***

We arrive in front of a large, white house. There are large, white stone pillars that stretch from the roof to the outside to the front doorsteps. The house is a rectangular prism and has about nine windows all in line.

The cab driver unlocks the doors and we step out. Amanda pays him. "Thanks," I say as he helps me with my bags. Amanda hands me hers and I sling it over my shoulder as she walks up the steps in her high heels, her handbag hanging on her forearm.

I sigh and nod another, 'thank you,' at the cabbie. I carry our suitcases to the front door and place mine on the ground, ringing my arm out. Amanda pulls my arm around her waist and entangles her fingers with mine, ringing the doorbell.

A girl with long, dark hair and medium complexion opens the door. She's wearing a short, black skirt and a white, v-neck singlet top. She's got her hair straightened and has a lot of makeup on, but it makes her pretty face look neutral.

"Amanda, its so great to see you!" the girl says, hugging her cousin. Amanda hugs her back.

"Hi, Elena," Amanda says. The girl pulls away and looks at me.

"And you must be Alex," she says, looking me up and down. I stare right back at her and hold out a hand.

"Yeah, Amanda's boyfriend," I say. Elena nods and motions for us to come in. I bend down and pick up the bag. Amanda walks inside before me, but Elena waits.

"So you and Amanda go to school together?" she asks as I hoist the bag onto my shoulder.

"Yeah," I say, swinging the bag on my left side to my right.

"And you're treating her well?" she asks. I gulp. Am I? I know she's cheating on me, but seeing Natalie everyday, and almost kissing her twice, is that treating her right? I know I never actually kissed her, but its still not ok.