Chapter 53: Fat Fon't be Fessesary, Fohn

Amanda and I didn't get to do what we had hoped to. Her Mum had called to say she had a hairdressing appointment and obviously, she just couldn't miss that. 

I'm on the way home from school when I get a call from Rosemary. I pull over on the side of the road and answer the call. 

"Hello?" I say.

"Oh, thank God, Natalie!" Rosemary exclaims. "Sara and Ella are out for exams, so would you please come and waitress, I'll pay double the price! Its definitely peak hour in here."

"Sure! I don't have anything on. You don't need to double the price though, Rosie, it's fine," I say. 

"Oh, you're such a bloody legend, Nat!" Rosemary says before hanging up. I laugh and pull back onto the road.

***

I turn up to Cafe Extra with a hoodie and some joggers after dropping my stuff at home. Rosemary ushers me inside and shoves my outfit at me. I quickly change and tie my hair up into a high bun. 

I walk back to Rosemary quickly. My bun falls out and I reach to fasten it but Rosemary stops me. "Don't bother. Now, quickly, there are heaps of people coming in, and there's no one at the welcome stand! I think its this rain, everyone one just wants some hot chips.... honestly."

I laugh and race to the door. 

"Hi, welcome to Cafe Extra! Table for three?" I ask, picking up the menus for a group of three older men. They nod and I lead them to a table. I smile at them and tell them to 'enjoy.'

I return to the stand with a bright, fake smile on my face and look up only when I reach the welcoming stand. When I do I trip over my feet and would fall over if it wasn't for the stand in front of me. 

"Hi," Alex says, his hands in his pockets. I tuck the strands of hair behind my ears and gulp.

"Hi," I say, my face heating up. He's wearing a tux and tie, both black. His shoes are polished perfectly and his hair is styled messily. His blue eyes are dark as he looks at the ground. "Table for one?" I squeak, looking down at the menu. 

"Two," he whispers. I snap my head up and look at him, he's still staring at the ground. My gaze travels to the tall girl next to him. Her black hair is styled up into a messy bun atop her head, a few baby curls framing her face. She's got a beauty mark on one cheek and smooth, olive skin. She's wearing a black dress that emphasizes her body really well. There was no other way to put it... She was beautiful. 

I immediately look down, trying to keep the tears from flowing. I turn and scan the restaurant for a spare table. I see one and grab the menus, gesturing at the couple to follow me. 

They sit down at the table and I place the menus in front of them. I hand the girl hers rather vigorously, but she doesn't notice. 

"Just.. um, call me over when you're ready," I say, walking away. 

Rosemary approaches me when people stop gliding into the restaurant and everyone's settled. 

"Natalie! Whatever is the problem you've been looking gloomy ever since an hour ago, what's wrong?" she asks, pulling off her net-hat thing. 

"Nothing," I sigh, standing up straight and pulling on my shirt. "There's nothing."

Rosemary turns around but doesn't walk away. Her head moves from one side to the other as she scans the room. When her gaze lands on Alex and his date she turns back to me with a sympathetic expression. 

"He's trying to replace you," she whispers. I drop the pen I'm twirling around in my hand and lean down to get it, banging my head on the welcoming stand in the process.