Chapter 45: The Boys are Moses and the Others are the Red Sea.

Well done. Now, cow, stop looking at him. It gives the fact that you like him away.

And so that's what I did. Alex and I ignored each other all week, and there hasn't been a shred of natural light peeking through the curtains. I'm afraid if I open them he'll be right there. Calculus is really boring without him, I know he's sitting behind me, but it doesn't feel right not to have his arm wrapped around my chair. And It doesn't feel right not to bicker with him. I'd never admit it to him (not like I can anymore), but I kind of enjoyed the debates.

I walk into the musical on Friday with Bubbles with my head down. Alex doesn't have his usual bad boy stuff on. Instead, he's wearing a hoodie and a beanie. His nose is red and his hair is wet. He wasn't here today, I don't know why, but he doesn't look so good. Callum is sitting on the seat and patting his friend's arm awkwardly. I look away and walk over to some seats in the front row. Alex slumps down in his seat beside and Bubbles walks over to Callum.

"C'mon everyone! We're going to actually start rehearsing the script today!" Ms Carter says. Great. The only day we're actually learning lines instead of dance moves and songs is the only day I don't want to. I sigh. It's just acting. I'll be fine.

"Ok, Alex... Natalie! Up here! We're doing the 'can I have this dance' scene," she claps and I get up. Alex does too and we make our way up to the stage. I avoid looking at him. "Well... come on you two! We don't have all day."

I quicken my pace a little and stand in front of Ms Carter. "Are you two ok?" she whispers to us. We don't reply and she nods.

Alex coughs. "Ms Carter, could I talk to you for a second?"

"Of course, Alex," she says and they walk off stage. I just stand awkwardly on stage until they come back. Ten minutes later Ms Carter returns with a grim face and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Alex had to go home. His Mum's been in the hospital and she's returning. His dad needs help with his siblings. I don't even know why he came today," she shakes her head. I nod, feeling guilty. I didn't even know. I'll go over today. Ignoring Alex is not worth not seeing Michelle.

"Do you want to just rehearse the scenes at Stanford?" Ms Carter asks.

I nod. "Sure."

***

I put on a maroon hoodie and some ripped jeans and head down the steps.

"I'm going next door!" I say to Mum. She nods but stops me before I walk out the door.

"Can you give her the beef pie I baked?" She says, taking a container out of the fridge and handing it to me. Obviously, she knew I was going to see Michelle.

I open the door wider with my foot and step out. "See ya!"

"Bye," She says and she shuts the door behind me.

I pull up my hoodie, balancing the container with one hand. I run quickly along the grass and reach the patio, dinging the bell.

The rain keeps pouring down on the grass. I wish I still had the entryway to Alex's bedroom. Then I wouldn't have a wet hoodie and it would mean that everything's ok. 

The door opens and I look up. Alex has taken off the beanie and his hair's wet again. His eyes are a dark shade of blue and his jaw is clenched. 

I look at him for a few minutes. "Um, hey. Can I come in?"

He looks down at me and nods. I step inside and dodge him. He looks away. I bite my lip and stand there awkwardly. 

"Alex, who's at the - Oh, hey Nat," Felecia says, walking around into the living room.