Chapter 34: My Mascara Might Run

Buzz. Buzz. 

I groan into my pillows and pick up my phone, fumbling around on the bedside table for it with my head still in the pillow. I check the time first and realize its eight o'clock. I've woken up twice before this morning, only to drone off back to sleep within a minute. I unlock my phone and open the messages app. 

Its a text from Alex. I move myself into a sitting position with my back against the wall and my legs stretched out in front of me. I click on his name and look at the text. 

Wake up, I miss you.  

I smile at the message and put my phone on the table beside me. I swing my legs off the bed and head downstairs for breakfast. 

"Hi, Mum," I say, sitting down at the bench and pouring myself some cereal. 

"Hey Nat. Get dressed, we're heading to the airport at ten," she says, looking up from her computer. 

"Airport?" I ask, now pouring milk into my bowl. 

"Alex is coming home today," she says, typing something into her computer. 

"Really?" I sit up straighter. She eyes me over the top of her glasses. 

"Don't look so sad about it," she says, trying to hide her smile. I just look down at my cereal and spoon  into my mouth. She continues typing on her computer and Lucas walks into the room. He hops onto the stool beside me and pours out cereal. 

"Hey, Lukey," I say as he rubs his left eye. 

"Hi, Nat. Mum, what're we doing today?" he asks, pouring in his milk.

"Well, first we're going to meet Alex at the airport, then we're all going to this aqua park together," she says.

"We are?" Lucas and I both ask. Mum nods and takes her computer into the other room, since we must obviously be distracting her. Lucas and I eat our breakfast until Paul comes in, grumbling about how Lucas woke him up. I roll my eyes and rinse my plate before taking the stairs two at a time to get to my room. 

I shut the door behind me and walk into my closet. I hear Mum yell up the stairs, "Nat! Wear something nice!"

"Its the airport," I mumble under my breath and walk to the section of clothes I hate. 

"We're going to lunch after!" she yells up. Oh, that's why. 

I pick out some jeans and a white off the shoulder blouse and my sunnies. I put on the outfit and some studded earrings and some white joggers. I comb my hair and tie part of it into a bun. 

Then I sit down on my bed and take out Percy Jackson: The lightning thief and start reading

I think I read for about an hour and thurty minutes since before I know it I hear a knock on my door and it opens.