Chapter 38: My BFF's Boo is Romantic

Ding Dong. Ding dong.

"I'll get it!" Mum shouts from the living room. I sit back down on the bean bag in the rumpus room. I continue with my book and hear a squeal from the front door. One of Mum's weird high-school girl squeals that she usually does when she's released a new item of clothing.

I roll my eyes but close my book and lay it gently beside me on the floor. I scramble off the bean bag with an oof and walk out to see what the fuss is about. I yawn while I walk, I woke up an hour ago, but I'm still tired since I was up late last night studying.

"Oh. My. God," I say, my hands dropping to my sides when I see the person at the door. My mouth falls wide open and I stare at the girl in front of me. "AHHHHH!"

I sprint forwards and launch myself at my best friend. She drops her bags and hugs me back. "Hi!"

"You're here! Wh- what... how?" I stammer, climbing off her.

"Surprise!" she says, smiling and doing jazz hands. I grin at her.

"How are you here?" I scream.

"I thought I'd come for your birthday," Adele shrugs. "Mum and Dad bought me the tickets and so I fly over since its school holidays. And... well, here I am!"

"C'mon sweetie, come in, come in, I've got your bed made," Mum says, beckoning her in.

I gape at my mother. "You knew she was coming?"

"Well, it wasn't called a surprise for nothing," Mum says, placing a hand on Adele's back and helping her with her bags.

We walk into my room and I see the single mattress lying on the floor. When did that get there? It definitely wasn't there a few hours ago.

"Ooo! Its so nice," Adele says, dumping her bags on the floor and jumping onto her bed.

"Thanks," I say. She looks around, swinging her legs.

"I can't wait to meet Bubbles," she says. I nod and lie down on the bed next to her. "Hey, why aren't the curtains open? Its soooo dark in here!"

Before I can stop her, just like Mum, she opens the windows wide and starts to unlock the french doors, her handbag swinging from off her shoulder. She opens them and turns around to me, mouthing, 'he's hot!'

I make big no! actions with my arms but she smiles at me and walks back out onto the balcony, waving with a beam. I turn round and whack my head into my pillow, screaming silently. When I calm down I pull my head out of the pillow and listen at what she's saying.

Adele: "You must be Alex!"

Alex: "Yeah, that's me. You're Adele?"

Adele: "Yup," she pops the 'p.' "Nat's told me so much about you."

I glare at the open doors, wishing I had laser eyes that killed both the wall and my best friend.

Alex: "Really?"

Adele: "Oh, yeah."

Alex: "You live in Paris?"

Adele: "Yes."

Alex: "You like it?"

Adele: "Yeah. Now, listen here.."

I lean forward to listen to their conversation they're having. I hear bits and pieces that I can't put together. "Yeah, yeah, 'course.... If you do actually.... I understand.... yeah.... I know.... We aren't...."

And then, from Adele, "Anyway, I'll see you later. Are you hanging out."

"Not today," I hear Alex say quietly. "I don't think she will want to."