04

He was standing there, looking at me expectantly. It was almost as if he was hoping to himself that I wouldn't recognise him. How could I not? It's going to be hard to forget that face in a long while. He must have seen the falter of my smile, the flicker of fright in my eyes because his expression changed. He seemed to soften and let out a big sigh - as if he's been holding his breath for a while. 

"Listen, love-" I flinched. He sensed this and took a deep breath. "Listen, I've been thinking, or rather someone did the thinking for me, I was wrong. I acted very badly and I've seen the error of my ways. I'd like to apologise for my behavior and I promise I will never act the way I did to you again; or another member of staff." His eyes flickered towards Charlotte and he licked his lips. It was almost as of he was regretting what he had just promised me. 

I took a deep breath and cleared my throat. This stopped the man from gazing leeringly at Charlotte. "I accept your apology, but that doesn't make anything better. I also expect you to keep to your promise as one word from that girl over there you seem so interested in and you can get barred from every bar within a ten mile radius. Now, what can I get you?" I flicked the loose hairs away from my face, my professional posture returning. 

He looked at me for a long time, as if he was trying to sum me up or work me out. "Nothing, I needed to apologise, I'll be off." And with that he slid off the barstool and headed towards the door. 

I didn't turn to the customer sitting next to him looking at me expectantly, licking his lips and clearing his throat, getting ready to place his order. I turned right around and headed to where Charlotte was sitting on her usual bar stool, looking at her phone. 

"Charlotte?," I caught her attention, "Listen if anything happens to you tonight I want to scream and call for help, hit him over the head with a glass if that happens. And me or Luke will walk you home tonight okay?" 

Charlotte looked alarmed and little concerned but nodded. "Okay. Is there something I should worry about. Are you okay?" Her eyes searched my face, looking for some give-away to how I was feeling. 

"You don't need to worry -  about anything." I smiled warmly and turned back to the customer I was supposed to be serving. .

.

.

.

"How may I help you?" I turned to another customer. By this time the night was wearing on and I could feel my eyes getting heavy and arms getting tired. 

"Why don't you take a break?" Luke asked when he saw me rubbing my eyes whilst I waited for the old cash register to calculate the change. 

I looked up and tried to stiffle a yawn. "If I take a break I'll fall asleep Luke." I snapped. 

He looked at me for a long time. Why are people looking at me like that tonight? Is there something wrong with me that only I don't know? Do I have 'mentally unstable' written on my forehead? 

The bell for last orders rung, breaking the long chain of thoughts. Unconciously, I rubbed at my forehead. I walked up to the bar and smiled at the young man who smiled back at me. I recognised him instantly as the dyed blonde guy, but now his hair was lilac and he had an eyebrow piercing. "Where's your friend?" I asked as I poured his drink. 

"Which one?" He chuckled. 

"Blonde curly hair, green eyes, big arm muscles. Why, how many friends do you have?" I giggled. 

"Oh, he can't come out tonight, something about family and spending time. But I'll tell him you asked about him, he'll be real pleased. It's my other friends you should look out for though." I paused mid-giggle and sobered up instantly. Ever since last night I've been very cautious about how I handle myself behind the bar. 

"Really?" I raised my eyebrow and placed his pint in front of him. 

"Yup, I think one of them really took a liking to you." He sipped his drink. 

"I don't know anymore people." I said, almost to myself.

"Of course, darling." He winked and turned away. 

I momentarily froze and scanned the bar, I could almost feel someone watching me. In instinct I glanced back at Charlotte; at Luke, they were both fine. And then I could feel the gaze getting more instense, liking he was getting closer to me. In the corner of my left eye I could see a shuffling of feet as they all made way for somebody. 

That somebody had piercings and tattoos. That somebody was in the alleyway last night. Our eyes locked. His eyes were a soft brown - not matching his bad boy exterior at all - but they dared me to look away. Usually I never back down from a dare, but this time I had to.

"Stella, you ready. We can go home now!" Luke said running up to me, he had got both our coats. Reluctantly I tore my gaze from the piercing and tattoo guy and took my coat off Luke. 

"Thanks Luke, and yeah I'm ready." I'm smiled up at him and slipping my coat on. 

There was a noise, like a low grumbling or growling, that's when I turned and saw piercing and tattoo guy staring at Luke with anger, almost like a lion would stare at his prey before he attacked. 

"Come on Luke, lets go." I placed my hand on the small of his back and pushed him slightly quicker out the door. 

Charlotte joined as we headed out, she smiled brightly at me as if to say 'here I am, unharmed, you didn't have to worry', I returned the smile softly trying to say 'yes, yes I really did'. 

When we out of the bar the chilly air hit us all, almost taking our breath. I wrapped the coat around my body tighter. I saw Charlotte move closer to Luke. 

Oh, was I third-wheeling? I thought. I walked home in silence whislt Luke and Charlotte talked as if they were never going to see each other again. 

"So anyway Stella, I saw Calum looking at you, what's going on with you pair?" Charlotte asked me. I was so lost in my own thoughts - recollecting the evening. That I was shocked when I was spoken to. 

"Calum?" I furrowed my brow. 

"You know, the piercing and tattoo guy? That's Calum." She smiled. 

"Oh, you know him?" I asked, suddenly more interested. 

"Yeah, he's a good guy once you see through all the bad boy persona he has going on. He's a big softie at heart." 

"An ex then?" I tried to keep myself from sounding jealous. I don't even like this guy....

"Oh, no. Do you think my father would allow it? No, some random creep tried to get hold of me at the bar one night and he helped, sometime he still checks in on me, to see if I'm alright y'know. He's a good listener as well." She smiled, but this time at Luke. I knew what she was thinking, Luke was a good listener too. 

We walked the rest of the way in silence. 

.

.

.

.

When we reached the mouth of the alleyway Luke cleared his throat. "I'll walk Charlotte home, will you be okay to walk home by yourself?" 

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

And with that he turned right and I turned left out the alleyway. I was consumed by my thoughts for Calum. I didn't even like the guy, I was just thankful; and afraid. 

"Calum." I whispered, the name rolling off my tongue easily. It sounded nice to say and brought a smile to lips. When I caught myself I immediatley wiped it off. 

"Now that you know my name, it's time for me to learn yours." Said a deep Australian voice. I gulped and pressed myself against the wall, willing myself to slow my breathing so I didn't come across some ditzy, scared girl. Calum stepping out of the shadows, his eyes still soft but daring

Maybe I won't be fine at all.

***********************************************

its summer and really warm outside and i'm sitting inside, curtains closed, wearing black skinny jeans and the weight of my latop not making the sunburn on my knees any better