07

I arrived at work early and on my own. I was five minutes early but it still stopped me from third wheeling with Luke and Charlotte. I'd walked out of the house before he had even started getting ready. He asked questions, which I had ignored.

The old bar was once an illegal boxing ring until many complaints from law-abiders eventually got it shut down. Then it was taken over as a bar. The back where only staff were permitted was still an old changing rooms, with each employee assigned a locker. I never really used my locker but today I used the old combination, 25-1-96, and placed my only handbag in the small locker space. I never usually bring a bag to work but it contained two notebooks full of law notes. Dragging my fingers through my hair, I stepped out behind the bar.

I'm instantly greeted by the curly haired, green eyed guy from the other night. I smiled brightly, "What can I get you?"

He smiled back, "Two pints of lager please." And I buisied myself pouring the drinks.

"Alright, Ashton!?" A voice boomed across the bar, I tore my eyes away from the pouring liquid to see that the lilac haired guy was hugging Ashton. Ashton. Now I no longer had to call him the curly haired, green eyed guy. Now all I needed to know was lilac haired and eyebrow pierced guy's name and I could stop with the labels.

"Michael!" He cheered back but slightly quieter. Michael.

"Calum's back there, he's just talking to some people, he'll be over soon. And Luke works here so maybe we can talk to him." I tried my best to not listen to the coversation as I carried the drinks over to where they were standing.

Wait, Luke? As if on que he walked through the door, kissing Charlotte on the cheek as he walked behind the bar. Far away from Ashton and Michael.

"Michael, I don't think Luke will talk to us and you know very well that I don't want to talk to Calum." Ashton used a soft tone. Like the tone you would use to let a little kid down.

Ashton handed over the exact amount before I could tell him how much it would cost. It was almost as if he was trying to get rid of me, but I wasn't giving up that easily.

"I'm sorry, did you say Luke? As in Luke Hemmings?" I asked quietly in case he overheard.

"Yeah, do you know him?" Michael smiled.

I smiled, "Well I kinda live with him." I explained.

"Oh?" Michael's eyebrows raised, but Ashton didn't look impressed.

"Oh, not like that! He, erm; I think he has a girlfriend. He's not my type." I blushed and talked quickly.

"Do you think you could get him to talk to us?" Michael asked, his eyes were bright with eagerness and hope.

"Michael." Ashton warned.

I sensed Ashton's warning and decided that if I got myself into this mess, I could get myself out of it. "I'm sorry, we're not on best of terms at the moment." I pulled a face and glanced back at Luke. He wasn't working at all. In fact, he was talking to Charlotte. I let out a long sigh.

"Is it something to do with the girl?" Michael leaned forward, intrigued. The light in his eyes had gone out, as if someone had flicked a switch on and off.

Before I could think through my answer, "Yeah."

"Oh. Well don't let it get to you, he was always like this. Leaving his friends for girlfriends, there was some arguments..." Ashton trailed off.

I snapped my attention back to him. "How do you know?" My voice came out all wrong, it was intended curious but instead it was harsh.

Panic and alarm was clear in both their eyes. "Oh... erm.... high school friends." Ashton smiled.