Chapter 42

(Abigail pov)

Game 4...Today was game four and I would probably be missing it. Why would I be missing it because one the boys were in California but, also because Cat was sick. My phone began to ring I looked down to see it was Kari.

Me: Hello

Kari: Hey how's Cat doing today?

Me: Not much better she's still got a fever and she's been throwing up all night.

Kari: Awe my poor girl. Are you guys going to be able to watch the game?

Me: I'm going to try.

Kari: Take care of my baby girl first then if you can watch the game. Let Cat know we are going to win for her.

Me: I will. She's awake you want to talk to her real quick?

Kari: yeah sure.

I walked into Cats room and put the phone on speaker. "Cat daddy want to talk to you," I told her quietly. I rubbed her back as she sat up.

Cat: Hey daddy. I miss you.

My heart shattered at how weak her voice sounded.

Kari: Hey babe girl I miss you too. How are you feeling?

Cat: Not very good but, Daddy you win for me?

Kari: Yeah baby we will.

You could hear Karis voice crack and I knew he was getting emotional. I couldn't help but, smile at how much Kari cared for her.

Cat: Daddy I'm taking a nap before your game.

Kari: Alright sweetie. Feel better. Daddy loves you.

Cat: I love you too daddy.

Cat coughed and then handed me my phone back. I kissed her head and tucked her back in.

I walked out of the room and talked to Kari for about 20 minutes before I hung up.

I made chicken noodle soup and made two bowls. I brought Cat into the living room and covered her with blankets while we sat waiting for the game to start. "Cat you need to eat a little honey," I told her rubbing her back. She nodded and sat up. I started to feed her a little. After a couple bites she wouldn't eat anymore so I let her lay her head back in my lap. I finished my bowl of soup just as the game was going to start. I was worried about Cat but, I didn't think it was anything to serious. I think she just had a stomach bug.

It was the end of the second period and the Stars were up 2-0 I was smiling. I looked down at Cat to see she was sleeping. I hated seeing her feeling so bad.

At the end of the third the final score was 3-1. We would be going to game 5 if we won we would be heading to round two! If not well I'm sure everyone understands the system. I picked up Cat and carried her to bed. My phone started to ring in was Kari.

Me: Hey Kari good win to tonight.

Kari: Thanks babe. How's Cat?

Me: She hasn't gotten any better I'm really worried.

Kari: It'll be okay baby. When I get home tomorrow we can take her to the doctor if you want.

Me: Yeah I'd like that.

Kari: Alright babe I'm going out with guys to celebrate tonight's win. I love you.

Me: I love you too. Be careful!

Kari: I will bye.

Me: Bye.

I smiled as I hung up the phone I threw on some pajama pants and slept in my Lehtonen jersey. I slept on Karis side of the bed as I always did when he was gone.

"Mommy," I heard a little voice say. "Mommy I don't feel to good," I opened my eyes to see Cat standing there. I took her into the bathroom where she threw up. I put my hand to her forehead and she was very hot. She also looked very pale. I knew something was wrong. I wrapped her in a blanket and rushed her to the car.

I filled out all the forms for Cat and then held her in my arms. "Cathy Verleye?" the nurse in purple scrubs said. I stood up and followed the lady back to the room. About 10 minutes later a man with grey hair walked. "I'm doctor Ramierez but, you can call me James. What seems to be the problem with Cat?" the doctor asked. "She's been sick but, she's only getting worse," I told him.

"Abigail can I talk to you out here for a moment?" I nodded and stood up following the doctor outside. "Cats very sick. Her appendix burst so the toxins were going through her body. We need to perform emergency surgery," he told me. I stood there shocked. "Yes just make my baby better," I told him tears streaming down my face. "Alright tell her you'll see her later and we will take her to the operating room," he told me before walking off. I wiped my eyes and cheeks before walking into the room. "Cat these nice people are gonna take care of you okay?" I told her kissing her forehead as we started walking towards the operation room. "Mommy where are they taking me?" she said. "They're gonna take you to a different room to sleep for a little bit and when you wake up Daddy and I will be here," I told her sweetly kissing her head. "I love you Cat," I told her. "I love you too mommy goodnight," she said smiling and waving as they took her off to surgery. I stood in the hall and pulled out my phone calling Kari.

Kari: Abigail?

Kari spoke over the music.

Me: Kari you n-need to come home.

I told him tears rolling down my cheeks.

Kari: Abigail what's going on?

Me: Cat shes... They're performing surgery on her..

I said barley being able to choke it out.

Kari: What! What happened?

Me: I took her to the emergency room and her appendix had burst. Kari just come home please.

Kari: I'm coming right now baby hang tight.

Me: okay bye.

Kari: bye I love you.

Me: I love you too.

Four hours later I felt a hand on my back. I looked up to see Kari but, behind him stood all of the rest of the Dallas stars with stuffed animals, flowers, candy, and anything you think of. I got up and hugged Kari crying into his shoulder. After I called Kari I called my parents but, they're still in Pittsburgh with Addison so I told them to stay there. "What's the news?" Jamie asked looking broken. "She should have one more hour left in surgery and then we can see her. We filled pretty much the whole room and I could only hold onto Karis hand I was super nervous.

"Cathy Verleye?" the doctor asked and I stood up along with Kari and every other Dallas Stars player. "Okay guys here's the deal. The surgery was successful and we were able to remove the toxins before they got to her brain and did real damage. She's currently sleeping so I can take family members in to see her," the man said. "We're all family," I told him. "Okay then right this way," we all followed him to her room. Luckily her room was spacious.

My eyes filled with tears seeing my baby laying there attached to the machines I walked over and grabbed one if her little hands while Kari held onto me. All the guys filled in and placed their gifts around her bed on the desk and such. Then all the guys sat on the floor. "You should all try and sleep," the man said before leaving. "You guys can go home if y'all would like," Kari told them politely. "Not until she does. We're all family we stick together," Tyler said laying down on the ground besides Jamie. I smiled and sat besides Kari in one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs. We all fell asleep so that when Cat woke in the morning we could all be ready to see her. I knew she wouldn't want us all staying up all night.