Saved

You and the squad waited silently. The two figures came closer to you all, and Levi kept his eyes on them. You couldn't really see them because he was in front of you. Levi then stood up and you could see between his legs. The two had removed their hoods, revealing it was Hanji and Moblit.

"It's alright everyone," he called out. All of them relaxed when the two of them walked towards you all. Levi met with her and she handed him a piece of paper. You hauled the man you were squashing up before dragging him over to a tree.

"Hey, Jean!" You called.

"Yes?!" He jumped, startled by the fact that you called him so suddenly.

"Go get me some rope," you ordered.

"Right away!" You pressed the guy's back against a tree and held him there with your foot. A few seconds later he returned with the rope in his hand. He handed it to you and you quickly bound him to the trunk. In that time, a lantern was lit, and everyone was huddled around Levi. While they were reading, Hanji explained the details of what had happened inside the walls while you were gone. You walked up to them when Hanji was finishing her explanation.

"And there you have it. The coup d'état was successful. Premier Zachary has control of the capital and administrative district. For the time being, nobility hasn't rebelled," she ended.

"What about the Boss Reeves incident?" Armin asked.

"We got a confession that proved the charges unfounded. His son Flegel really pulled through big time." She smiled. "Just like it's written right there, it shows the charges were bogus, they abused their power, and that King Fritz was a total fake. All our actions were justified self-defense. In other words, we're free people now." It took a second to process. Everyone looked at each other. Everyone smiled except you, Levi, and Mikasa.

"Woohoo!!!" They all jumped in both relief and joy. Levi stood up from the stump he previously was on. You walked closer to him while the others were still celebrating and held out your hand. Without needing to exchange any words, he handed you the paper. Your eyes skimmed the words before they travelled over to the sketches.

'So they draw Fake Bitch McGee and Darius correctly, but they fuck up my face? Those little shits.' You scowled.

"Looks like the gamble paid off," Levi said as Hanji walked closer to you two.

"Yeah. It wasn't just Erwin though. The lone choices of many managed to change the world," she replied softly. Levi went to stand next to her.

"And I managed to kill the three people you loaned me. I'm sorry."
You lowered your arms and let them dangle at your sides.

'So... we're free... but we still have things to do.' Your eyes slowly travelled over to the trees that were shrouded in darkness. The faint glowing eyes of the crow stood out.

"The thing is, part of the Interior Police, their leader, Eren, and Historia are somewhere else. If we don't find them soon...." Levi trailed off.

"I may have a clue about that," Hanji said, holding up a book. The others were done celebrating, and joined you all. "Let's get there and put an end to this battle."

"Levi. Hanji." Your serious tone drew their attention. You weren't looking at them. "I have to talk to you about something important." You turned and walked deeper into the forest without another word. The two veteran soldiers looked at each other before wordlessly following you. You stopped after you moved a few meters away from the group. When Levi and Hanji joined you, you reached into your pocket and held the folded paper out to them. Hanji took it and opened it. Levi leaned up and over her arm to read it.

"This handwriting...!" She exclaimed. You saw their eyes move from side to side.

"Why didn't you tell us about this sooner?" Levi asked, his eyes darting to look up at you.

"There wasn't time. Not to mention we were considered criminals for a while there. Since we're not being hunted as badly as before, I figured it was safe to show you," you explained.

"It's been a whole year since Ruby last wrote to me... what has she been planning this entire time?" Hanji questioned, her brows furrowed.

"She and I will be meeting at an unspecified place at an unspecified time. She knew that we were being hunted. She probably knows everything," you said, looking between the two.

"Hanji, don't take offense to this," Levi began, "But I've heard of what Ruby's capable of. She's in control of almost everyone who works in secrecy or the underground. She's able to get her hands on the most advanced weaponry there is. Not to mention the countless allies and information she has."

"You're right about Ruby being all vigilante, but her intentions are good. She's not one to express her feelings verbally, but she does so with her actions. If she's offering you a prototype of a powerful gun, take it. We'll need someone like her in this battle." Hanji's words and face were both extremely serious. You almost didn't recognize her.

"I took the offer way before this. Problem is, there isn't any time for an exchange," you explained.

"It's a good thing Ruby's really patient, then," Hanji cut in.

"I still don't agree with this," Levi spoke up.

"Are you saying you don't trust her?" You asked.

"It's not that I don't trust her, I don't trust the ones who work for her."

"Ruby relatively works alone. People choose to follow her because she's both strong and influential. Like a politician," Hanji quickly explained.

"Tch." Levi crossed his arms.

"I admit, if Ruby was an enemy of ours, we'd stand no chance," you said, mostly to him. "But she's not. She's an ally, and Hanji's girlfriend." Levi stared at you and you returned his stare. 

"Fine." He sighed lightly. "I'll trust your word." 

Ja ne!

{Ruby Red}