Chapter 3

Chat Noir continued to stare at the castle before him in awe. He had never seen a building structured to be this tall. He wondered if it was a watchtower for the kingdom, and that thought alone made him scurry to a nearby tree for cover. 

He waited for something to happen, or rather, he expected to see guards patrolling the area or spot at least one or two from the inside. 

But nothing happened. 

And not one royal guard was in sight. 

It was the complete silence surrounding him, with the exception of the river, that gave him the idea that this tower was abandoned years ago. He swept his vision up and down to inspect it. He could tell this tower was built many years ago, but was still strongly supported by it's great rock walls. 

Cautiously, Chat Noir stepped out from his hiding place and crept slowly to get a better look. Once he was only a few inches away, he placed a gloved hand on one of the walls, an idea forming in his mind. 

This could be a wonderful hideout for the Acuma gang. 

He lifted his head and his eyes met the tower's only window in sight, luckily for him it was wide open. 

Chat Noir grinned. He wondered how hard it would actually be to get inside this tower. 

From his trusty weapon bag, he pulled out a grappling gun and aimed it at a nearby tree. The hook fastened itself securely to a branch and automatically propelled Chat into the air. He did a back flip mid-air (just because), and landed his feet on the branch expertly. Chat Noir then eyed the window with precision. 

The distance between him and the tower was still at least 20 ft, but it was still within his reach. 

Purrfect. 

He then unfastened the grappling hook from the branch, and re-aimed towards the tower's window sill with ease. The hook, yet again, fastened itself securely so that Chat Noir could gracefully swing through the air and plant his feet on the walls of the tower. He then climbed up until he reached the opening of the window and swung his whole body inside. 

The first thing he noticed was that it was dark. The only light source was whatever sunlight the window allowed in. Before he was able to get a better understanding of his surroundings, however, he was stuck unconscious with a baking sheet. 

***

  Marinette had been taking a nap after her mother left a few hours ago. But she woke up with the nagging feeling that someone was making their way inside to kill her and cut her head off. She walked down the staircase that led to her room cautiously, her hair flowing in massive waves around her. She reached the kitchen and searched frantically for something to defend herself, wishing she had a sword. She found a stray baking sheet left out from earlier and decided it was a decent enough weapon. 

When she had seen Chat Noir swing himself through the window, she immediately struck him without a moment's thought, and with a squeak, scrambled under the kitchen table. But after at least 15 minutes of staring at him, Marinette realized he was knocked out cold. 

She rose from her hiding spot and proceeded towards him, her baking sheet ready to strike in case he woke up. 

He still did not show any kind of movement. 

Did I kill him? she thought, alarmed. 

She poked around his face cautiously with her baking sheet, and noticed his mask for the first time. A tiny part of her wanted to see what kind of face hid behind such a peculiar mask, but she held herself back, for fear that she would uncover the face of a horrible monster.